Sunday, November 13, 2005

Christmas is coming!

I am a Christmas junkie. Not the crazy, Christmas lights up all year junkie (not to be confused with the redneck leave-'em-up-all-year types). I haven't had a Christmas tree in over 8 years, and that one was the first in about 5. That part would be nice, but I'm rarely home to enjoy one. I refuse to get a fake tree. I live in Montana, dammit! If I'm getting a tree, I'm going to get it myself!! No way am I paying the Boy Scouts for a tree! But I don't do the tree.

I love the spirit of Christmas. Yes, all the religious parts. One of the finest things of the season is watching Linus walk out on stage and recite the Biblical passage about the birth of Jesus. But I like the secular stuff too. I LOVE Christmas music. When I managed a CD store a few years ago, it was all Christmas music, from opening to closing, from the day after Thanksgiving right up to 6:00 PM on Christmas Eve. Mannheim Steamroller, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Crosby & Bowie, Bob Rivers, Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Sinatra, SheDaisy, Nutcracker, Herb Alpert, Alvin & the Chipmunks, the Singing Dogs, Burl Ives, Singers Unlimited, holiday TV soundtracks. The list goes on forever. I own probably 100 Christmas CDs. I'll be getting more this season (already bought my first one--Diana Krall's first full Christmas album--go buy it!).

I love the hustle and bustle of the pressures of Christmas--the parties, the food, the booze, the presents. I love the Christmas classic movies. Not so much the crap that Lifetime or Hallmark will show, but the classics. And the new classics. "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" is excellent! "Scrooged!" isn't bad. I really like the two "Santa Clause" movies. And I think that running "A Christmas Story" for 24 hours on TBS is a stroke of genius!

I like snow on the ground for Christmas, but will be just as happy if it's not there. Just keep the wind away! I like getting together with my parents and sisters and their families to eat like there's no tomorrow, drink beer like it was water, and then lay around afterwards with our belts and pants undone and just relaxing. I love performing during the season. Whether it's the Symphony, In Cahoots, or a little brass group to play carols around town.

I like the introspection that I usually go through at Christmas time. While my life isn't currently what I might have expected it to be, it's not too bad. There's alot of people who are envious. And there's alot of sad people out there who are far worse off than I am. And they have the fancy life, the social life and the money to pay for both. I have my family here, my friends in the internet and outernet. I have some semblence of health. Things could be far worse!

So I now give you fair warning. I plan to do some Christmas-y stuff to my blog. Not until December, but I will do some things. Don't know what, yet, but the template might take a beating. If you are equally thrilled about Christmas, I urge you to try some things too! Think of it as decorating your house! But please wait for December!! Clark Griswald, watch out!

No comments: