Sunday, November 20, 2005

25 Questions Answered! (v2.0--this is a honkin' long one!)

You asked, I'll answer! Though some of you were sneaky and got in 2 or 3 questions at once! That's OK, I'll deal with it! Some very good questions--even a couple of real tough ones. All my answers are all true, without anything witty, unless, of course, I couldn't come up with anything else. Without further ado:
  • Sasha asks: In your "funk" post you said you're tired of feeling alone... you're tired of being alone. My question is this: WHY are you alone?
    Sasha starts it out tough! By lonely, I'm speaking of coming home to an empty apartment, eating alone, etc. I have friends--I'm not pathetic. Perhaps, when it comes down to it, I tend to be shy. Those who know me might find that laughable. But the truth is, I am very shy. I no longer feel comfortable making the "first move". I don't have an interest trolling the bars for a woman--just not my type. I tend to find that I become very good friends with females who are involved in the same things that I am--music. And beer drinking. However, I find that they tend to be much younger than me, which means that they're there for my company and fun. Not with the thought that anything else is going to happen. I've grown comfortable with that scenario. But someday, I'd like to come home and have someone waiting there for me...

  • TechyMike asks: So what's your favorite instrumental joke?
    There's so many of them, and so many variations on them, it's hard to pick just one. And most of them would mean absolutly nothing to a non-musician. But probably my most favorite trombone one: What do you call a guy who knows how to play the trombone, but doesn't? A gentleman. ba-dum-bump

  • Monkey asks: When are you coming to Cali?
    I've never been to California. Most every other state in the west, but not there. Perhaps OsTour can take a look at that in the future, but no definite plans right now. Sorry!

  • Minta asks: Has anyone been honest enough to cry when you've played solo for them?? ...and who was it?
    I've played lots of solos that have brought tears to people's eyes! Just that bad! Actually, I've never serenaded an object of my affections. Mostly because I'm not really a soloist. While I can improvise (some) during a gig, or play a solo passage in an orchestral piece, or warming up by myself before a gig while others are around, I rarely play something totally alone for someone's consumption. On the other end of the scale, about two or three summers ago, I showed up at our "Alive @ 5" party (see archives for description) a little tipsy from just coming off the golf course. Ran into a 19 y.o. acquaintance who dragged me into the middle of the street to dance. A nice slow dance, even though the music was rockin' out. And while we're dancing, she starts singing "I've Got You Under My Skin". She's singing Sinatra to me! Totally oblivious to our surroundings. That brought a tear to my eye. I'd never had Sinatra sung to me. And by a 19 y.o. at that!

  • Jo asks: What is your favorite (and happy) kid memory?
    In the early 60's, my birthday fell on Easter Sunday. That was way cool. I was 6, maybe 7. Not only did I score with birthday presents, but I got one of the special eggs at the Easter Egg Hunt. The prize was a shiny, new JFK half-dollar. As an impressionable kid, JFK was like an equal to the Pope. And I remember, in my little kid way, that JFK wasn't around, but there was still this fascination with him. And now I've got this half-dollar! We go to my grandparent's house for an Easter/birthday dinner, and my present from my grandfather was a shiny, new JFK half-dollar!!! I scored two of them in one day!!!

  • Sherry W. asks:If you could magically get rid of one of your bad habits (presuming you have bad habits *grin*), what would it be?
    I don't have the standard "vices" (smoking, drinking, drugs, criminal behavior). So I guess I'd say my sense of timing. In years past, I usually would show up for things fairly early. "On time" meant "late". I've gotten into a bad habit of walking in at the last second, or even late. I hate that in others, yet I'm doing it myself more and more. I'd like to take care of that.

  • Addict asks: If you could ask three blog people any question, what would you ask to whom?
    Bug's Butt--How do you come up with your material?
    Binsk--How do you come up with your poses?
    ?????--May I take your next 6 months worth of HNT pics?


  • Susie asks: On what criteria do you base your decision on commenting on an HNT, for example, if it's a woman, does she have to show her boobies or butt to peak your interest?
    As Kalani answered right after this question, I don't even comment on all the boobie shots! I've taken alot of flak about this over the past few months. When this all first started, I used to comment on everyone's HNT. Used to stay up until midnight before I got through them. NOW, I can (and often have) stayed up until 4 AM, and still not get to everyone who's posted on Wed. night! And that's with leaving few, if any comments. I should note that I check EVERY post that is mentioned in my comments. All 300+ comments. On the weekends, I'll go through the sidebar and check on people that I don't remember seeing earlier. But by the time the next HNT rolls around, I will have visited just about everybody's site. Yes, some sites slip through the cracks, but that's just do to the popularity of the thing--not because I have a "blacklist" of sites! I tend to find that I'll comment early, and I'll comment on the weekends. In between, it's just impossible to do anymore. Besides, you guys are doing a great job of it anyway.

    I don't mean to imply that there are bad ones--I think every HNT is revealing in one way or another, depending on the person posting it. So what DO I comment on? I try to say something to the newbies, but that's falling by the wayside. If it's something spectacular, I'll comment. If it's something that is out of the ordinary that we've come to expect from a certain person, I'll comment. If someone posts a "tame" shot and apologizes for it, I'll usually comment. While I applaud and encourage the direction HNT has gone for some people, it's not a contest, and some people just are not going to do the boobie or ass shot. NOR SHOULD THEY FEEL THEY HAVE TO!! Lastly, there's a group of us who have done this almost everytime from Day 1. I do feel a connection to the charter members, if you will, and often will comment on theirs, simply because commenting is a regular mode of communication with them. It's too late for this now, but the short answer--If it's outstanding, I'll probably comment.

  • Chickie asks: What is your least favorite food?
    I've never been one to pass up food, but a general class would be veggies. Tomatos, for sure. Yes, I can eat them in salsa or spaghetti sauce, but put a slice on my hamburger, and I'll puke! Brussel sprouts, canned spinach, canned asparagus, artichokes, avocados. Don't get on my case about designations here. If it ain't meat, it's a veggie. I regret not having grown up around seafood. Oysters, clams, mussels, squid, etc. Just seems unnatural. I'm sure I'd like it if I'd grown up near the coast, but it just make more sense to chop up and eat an ugly mammal that chews grass, squirts milk and makes cowpies.

  • Tracey asks: Have you ever wanted to post a blog about someone you know in real life, but didn't because you know they read your blog (and would know you're talking about them) and you didn't want to hurt their feelings or piss a lot of people off?
    I guess that, by choice, I don't attack individuals. I tend to avoid confrontation. I don't like to be at the center of it. None of my family reads this, and other than a couple of fellow bloggers, I can only think of a half dozen acquaintances (not even friends) who read it. So there's very few who would object to anything I'd say.

    I think that if a group of friends (such as yourselves) or family (such as Addict's) are reading one other, then there needs to be some ground rules developed amongst you as to what you will and won't post about. Or if someone posts something controversial, how you'll respond to one another. It could be quite destructive. By the same token, it can be a wonderful thing to share, too. Again--the short answer is "No."

  • Jayne asks: What happened with Laurie in 1981?
    Jayne is referring to the previous "25 Questions"--I believe it was along the lines of "If you could change one thing in the past, what would it be?" I answered with Laurie in 1981, with no more explanation. You're still not going to get an explanation. I will say that it was ill-advised, it would disappoint many of you, and it's something I'm not terribly proud of. To clarify though--I'm not talking about sexual assault, physical assault, drugs, alcohol or anything like that, and that until after I moved for grad school, we were, and remained, friends. That should keep you busy wondering for awhile!

  • Jessica/Redneck Eskimo asks: Boxers or Briefs?
    Briefs. White. Sorry.

  • Freiya asks: Some big shot director in Hollywood has decided to make a film of your life, so which actor would play the part of you ? or more importantly which actor would you like to play you?
    Well, that would have to be John Belushi, somewhere between his "Animal House" role and his role in "Continental Divide" (which was a semi-serious role). Since that's going to be a little difficult, I'd have to say Russell Crowe (I'm not sure why, but I thought he looked good in "Gladiator", in that non-gay, male bonding sort of way....).

  • Deadly Female asks: Do you believe in reincarnation and why do you believe or not believe (as the case may be...)?
    I don't think that I do. Why bother with reincarnation if you don't know about it when it happens? Why don't I feel like the reincarnated soul of a 13th century peasant from Italy? Or anything else? Or why would I come back as a cow? To be honest, I've never read up on any literature on the belief--I'm thinking along a common sense route. I've just never contemplated the concept.

  • Kat asks: Is there any reason that you can think of that would cause you to stop blogging altogether?
    If the internet fell apart--that would be one reason. Also, if something I wrote caused something horrible to happen to somebody or something like that. I might decide to chuck the whole thing. Or if I was arrested and put in prison. I don't think they allow you to blog in prison. It WON'T be because I've got nothing to say!!

  • Femi-mommy asks: Who was your first love? (we need the backup story too =)
    I refer you to the post about "Volcano Girl" from 5/18/05.

  • Binsk asks: Where would you most like to visit?
    I'd like to hit the British Isles at some time in my life. Or New Zealand. Or explore the castles of Bavaria. Or Toronto...

  • kb asks: If you were stuck on an island what three blogger buddies would you want to be stuck with and why?
    Well, I hate this sort of question, so I'll give it my humorous (?) answer. Firefly, Mona, and Kalani--all three are intelligent, all three would take care of me, and all three would look good half-nekkid on the island. (Lord, I hope I didn't screw up anything here.....)

  • Lee Ann asks: What are some of the bunches of other stuff besides Symphony and In Cahoots?
    This is in reference to my profile, where I say I do other things. I am a part owner in a CD store that's close its retail doors, but continues with a contract to furnish prisoners at the state prisons with new CDs at a cost between wholesale and retail. Up until this year, I taught on a part time basis at Carroll College here in town. I do alot of music arranging, and am currently transcribing (writing the parts from the composer's score) a piece for the Symphony. I play in a brass quartet from time to time, and play bass guitar in a couple of part-time jazz combos. I distribute a free monthly state-wide entertainment newspaper in the Helena area (I'm a paperboy). I golf. I photograph. I travel more than I should. I spend money that I might not necessarily have. I blog.

  • Erik Axdahl asks: What's the most unappealing thing that has slid out of your (trom)bone while cleaning it?
    Gotta love a question from a fellow brass player! The grossest thing happened just a couple of months ago. We played an outdoor gig, where we were attacked by a zillion and a half moths. They were squished, they were swallowed, they were washed down with beer. Click on the pics for a bigger one:



    About two weeks later, at a rehearsal, I noticed that there was a nasty smell from the slide. I figure it just needs to be washed. With all the beer I drink at gigs, it was probably fermenting in there. For those of you who have never witnessed it, a dirty brass instrument is fairly gross anyway, with little green things growing inside. You just basically use a snake brush to clean it out, wash it, and watch these globs of green go down the drain. Oh, no. This time was a special treat! One of the moths from over two weeks earlier came out too. In its own little bits and pieces. Having fermented in the beer and other green stuff that was in there. Truly gross!

  • Lightning Bug's Butt asks: Who's your favorite Backstreet Boy?
    Well, I really used to like A.J., but recently I've turned towards Howie. He's just SOOOOO hawt, don't you think??? *muahs*

  • Gnomey G asks: Why aren't there 75 trombones, or 77? Why not just 12 in the big parade?
    When this was first done, it was actually 72 trombones, which worked very well, since you could have 9 rows of 8 trombones in a row. This was just perfect for various marching formations, blend and balance with the rest of the band (wouldn't have to hear the damned flutes or clarinets), and there's nothing quite as stirring as seeing 8 trombones in a row marching and moving their slides in unison. From a vocal point, "72" flowed better in the song, too. Well, the producer's nephews and a couple of their friends talked him into letting them play too, so everything had to be rewritten to what it's known as today. As for only 12 trombones?--I won't even dignify that with an answer!

  • karendhr asks: If there were 25 hours in a day, what would you do with the extra hour besides sleep?
    Well, since you took away the sleep option, I think I'd probably end up surfing the internet longer. Certainly nothing noble like helping my fellow man, or using the time to meditate, or (GASP!) work out!

  • Bob the Goat asks: "That's it. Twenty-five questions. It took me 2 and a half hours to answer these. Please remind me of this the next time I decide to do another one!" Any regrets on tackling the next 25?
    This, too, is taken from the original "25 Questions". No, I don't have any regrets. I find it interesting what people want to know--both the serious and the less-than-serious. And in spite of what it says in my profile, I DO sorta like talking about myself!

No comments: