Saturday, January 21, 2006

Let's see what you're made of....

Real life situations tend to want us to put our best foot forward. We are hired based on our strengths as related to a particular job. Social situations tend to require "dressing up" so that we show off our physical attributes. Generally, it's our good points that get us through life

Unforturnately, in real life, none of us are perfect. We all have flaws, habits, quirks, etc. that make us who we are. We tend to hide those from others. But they usually sneak out at some point, and we end up having to explain ourselves, or the other people in our lives "accept" the idiosyncracies, or relationships sort of fizzle away. You may be a bad parent. You might be a chronic gossip. You might have misplaced priorities. Whatever. It's generally not easy to admit to these "flaws".

For no particular reason, I got to thinking about these things. So now I challenge you to come up with 3 things that, if we were to actually meet and spend time together, would somehow eventually make their way into the open. Physical traits, annoying habits, whatever. This is different than Fear Friday. I'll start. You can leave yours in the comments....
  • I have been accused of pontificating during conversations. Well, I guess I do. I have a tendency to want to be the center of attention, whether I have anything particularly interesting to say or not.

  • I will often times play down another person I am with. This comes from years of good-natured ribbing with a specific group of people over the years. I often don't grasp the concept that I'm being mean or condescending, or that the other person might not realize that's where I'm coming from.

  • I am outwardly very easy-going and happy. The happy fat man syndrome. There are times when I'm sick and tired of holding my true opinions in. And on rare occasion, I'll let loose with a flurry of nastiness that is nothing short of embarrassing.

There you go. I could add a couple more... You may find those interesting, you may not. Now go tell me where you fall short...

No comments: