Sunday, July 05, 2009

Maybe Dana will do this...

Many years ago, I was talking with a friend. He had mentioned that he had been in Seattle and went up the Space Needle. And absolutely hated it. When I asked why, he said that he hates heights, and every time he got close to the edge, his nuts ran right up into his throat. The significance of that statement can't be stressed enough. For years, I thought I was the only guy that had that feeling. I have come to learn since, that most guys know what that's like. There is no other feeling like it.

Of course, there's got to be degrees of discomfort. Personally, I don't even have to be present, or involved in the activity! I watch footage of steel workers running around while building the Empire State Building and it happens. THEY obviously didn't have the same discomfort (though I imagine they were more concerned about staying alive...)! I watch videos of a plane going over the edge of the Grand Canyon and it happens. I watch roadies climbing stage scaffolding and it happens. I've found that once I get used to working with heights (when I need to), the feeling doesn't happen as intensely. Maybe one can get used to it.

So anyway, this article caught my eye last week. On Thursday, 103 stories above downtown Chicago, the Sears Tower (I thought it had a new name...) opened "The Ledges" to the public. Glass-enclosed balconies. Top, bottom and sides. The balconies can hold five tons, and the glass is an inch-and-a-half thick. I'm sorry. I know for a fact that the day I set foot on one, is the day that the slight imperfections in manufacturing come together to break apart under my feet. There is no way I could do it. I'd say more right now, but I need to step away and clear my throat...

You must click 'em to big 'em to get the full effect...

That first step is a doozie...


The view from an adjoining ledge...


Counting the number of floors to the bottom...


Apparently the kid in black is beginning
to experience the "throat" thing...


The little girl is leaning on the window.
Leaning on the window.
Weakening the integrity as we watch.
Oh, look! Clouds right there, too!
Let's wait for a lightning storm!

No comments: