Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Things I Have to Go Thru For a Haircut HNT

Dana's most recent post regarding public humiliation was highly interesting. While her personal story, and the stories of those she mentioned, would seem elicit the more appropriate behavior ("don't do that anymore!"), it got me to thinking about if it would have a similar effect on me. And I came to the conclusion that it probably wouldn't.

I have had one major embarrassment in my life. I have alluded to some jail time in previous posts. No details on that, and ignoring the fact that I shouldn't have been there in the first place, there's nothing like having your name splashed in the headlines of the local newspaper (and subsequently, statewide...) to make one mind their 'p's and 'q's. However, beyond that, I don't embarrass. I tend to be proactive in that respect. Beat someone to the laugh at your expense, and the situation isn't so bad. I think that comes from years and years of being a performer. I have no problems at all making a complete and utter fool of myself in front of others. I don't take myself too seriously--neither should anyone else.

So I knew it was time to shave the head again. I went to see my favorite barber. A woman a few years older than me who has been cutting it for years, and is also a long-time volunteer for the symphony. I heard that she had a birthday last week, so I opted to give her a fun bday present. It's actually something she does anyway. Since all my hair was going to be coming off, I allowed her to play. Do whatever she wanted to do. What I didn't anticipate was that there was going to be an audience. All I could do was sit and take it. And be sure that she took pictures. Even when she cut and colored the VDay hearts in the side of my head. Here's the 'before', click for the 'after', and go here to check out the 'during'...


Definition: A note or character of time, equivalent to two semibreves or four minims.

Definition: Any writ or precept under seal, issued out of any court.

Definition: A curved mark used commonly to indicate the short quantity of a vowel.

Definition: The great ant thrush of Sumatra (Pitta gigas), which has a very short tail.

Definition: Espresso made with half and half.

Our Mystery Guest will be revealed on Thursday afternoon. Be sure to check back then!
Well, if you haven't been by her site this afternoon, you might not know, but this week's MG is Breve! All the definitions above refer to her name. Stop by her site for another extra treat (you know how to find it!).

We have a nice group of participants (including the return of two long-lost participants!) over at "...the Other HNT" this week. Still NSFW, but stop by anyway and support your fellow HNTers! Lot's o' commments, please!
Got an email today with a link to a story about David, the kid in the video down below. If you haven't seen the video, be sure to do that, then check out the story. Thanks, Ella!
For those of you who celebrate it--HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! For those who don't--have a good weekend!

No comments: