Friday, November 30, 2007

R.I.P.

Learned of two icons who have died...

Mr. Whipple died earlier this month, at the age of 91. Proctor & Gamble is running a commercial-tribute this week featuring clips and paying tribute.

While researching Mr. Whipple, I found out that Evel Knievel died just this morning in Florida. He was a Montana boy, so it brought a little tear to my eye. I have two personal experiences with Mr. Knievel, both at the Butte Country Club. Once was while standing next to him at the urinals in the men's locker room. Not a whole lot of conversation, but he seemed pretty satisfied with himself.

The second was on the 6th green later that summer. His fivesome was allowing me to play through (I was by myself), and he met me on the green. The guy was a notorious gambler, and as I stood over the ball, he bet me $100 that I couldn't make the putt. He was dead serious. I told him I knew I could make the putt, but couldn't cover the bet. He snorted, told me to go ahead and make the putt. I did. He offered to drive me up to the next tee box.

As we headed over, all he said was, "You should have taken the bet, kid. Especially if you knew you could make it. You won't get far in life if you're always a chickenshit." Charming, in his own sort of way.

I've never really forgotten that day. And now maybe I should heed his advice. I could have picked a different picture, but this one is sort of emblematic of his life. Even though his health was bad, and every bone in his body was shattered, he still knew how to market himself. Even as a daredevil scooter rider.

REST IN PEACE, MR. WHIPPLE AND MR. KNIEVEL. DON'T SQUEEZE THE CHARMIN!

No comments: