Thursday, February 23, 2006

CD Contest Results

Well, I was able to fool all of you all of the time! A talent I share with F3M1. Out of 28 responses, 9 out of the 10 were mentioned at least once. All but the real answer! And I'm apparently going to disappoint many of you with my Mandy Moore collection! Without further ado, here are the details of what I've got:
    1) Gretchen Wilson--She's only got two CDs out, and they both kick ass. She's not the cutesy beauty that seems to have infected country music today. She could kick your ass in the back alley. And look good doing it! Her music reflects that. She's bad-ass! (note that I use the word "ass" 3 times!)
    2) Jamiroquai--If you haven't heard this guy, you need to. Anyone old and obscure enough will think he sounds like Gino Vanelli. His sound almost has a 70s disco style to it. Great dance groove, great sound. My favorite album would be "Synkronized".
    3) Van Morrison--This is the one that no one chose, and the only one in the list that I lack. I have all the big early hits on a variety of compilations, but I don't own that first one with "Moondance", "Into the Mystic" or "Brown-Eyed Girl". Or any of his others. As a child of the 60s/70s, I suck, in this instance.
    4) Mandy Moore--I'm going to take shit for this. I own her debut album, because it was a promo CD at the music store I managed. But while Britney and Christina were trying to out-slut each other, Mandy concentrated on her acting (well....) and her vocal talents. Her 2003 album "Coverage" is outstanding. She sings cover songs from the 70s and 80s, and in many cases, delivers a stronger song than the original artist. Her version of Elton John's "Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters" might be the best on the album. Yes, I'm proud to say that I own some Mandy Moore!
    5) Tower of Power--One of the funkiest bands of all time. Still going strong with a majority of their original line-up after 30 years. Horn section schooled on the sounds of James Brown, and a rhythm section that is unparalleled in any form of music. I think I own everything they have ever issued. "Monster On A Leash" is probably their best "modern" album, but even when they went through some hard years, no one could touch them!
    6) Mariah Carey--Before Mariah learned that she had boobies (monster boobies), she had an incredible voice. And a fear of audiences. I own a couple of her early albums when she was actually concerned with MUSIC and SINGING. Her breakout album was the one that came out of her MTV "Unplugged" concert, which was one of her first concerts. No samples, no dance beats. Just a string section, acoustic instruments, and her amazing voice. Her version of Michael Jackson's "I'll Be There" still runs a chill up my spine. Too bad she weirded out...
    7) Guns N' Roses--When I was teaching HS band, a couple of my students got me to listen to "Appetite For Destruction". Damn, what a great album! They also conned me into writing pep band arrangements of "Paradise City" and "Welcome To the Jungle". Much better than playing "Louie, Louie" or the "Hey! Song" at games. As usual, GNR went downhill after awhile, but those old albums still bring a smile to my face. Perhaps this would be my secret vice...
    8) Big Bad Voodoo Daddy--Modern swing. Gotta love it. I was slow to embrace it, but once I did, I was hooked! Even though the craze has faded, they continue to record, and I continue to buy everything they put out!
    9) Elton John--Early Elton John was unbeatable. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy", and my favorite, "Caribou" (using the aforementioned Tower of Power Horns!). I don't particularly like his crap after the late 70s, and certainly none of his Broadway musical collaborations. But no one rocked like the "Rocket Man" in the 70s!
    10) Shania Twain--Shania changed what women in country music could do, and probably was a major force in changing people's perceptions of what "country" music is. Her first three albums broke all sorts of barriers. And when you're married to your producer, who also produced the "sound" of groups like Def Leppard, then some of that's going to creep in. We (In Cahoots) play songs from all 3 of those first albums, but I would have bought them anyway, I think.
So there you have it. No one gets burned CDs from me (except you. maybe you. oh...and you, too). I may try this again down the road. Thank you all for playing, and thanks to Brico for coming up with the game.

No comments: