Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm baaaaccckk...

Wow. I've been away for awhile, haven't I? I've been busy. Lots going on, and lots of stuff in my head. I did get to check some of your sites, but not alot. I've got some catching up to do...
Why have I been gone? Symphony, of course! I've been in rehearsals, stage set-ups, or performance since Thursday. But it was well worth it. The performance was as about as good as we could have asked for. Perfect? There is no such thing as a 'perfect' performance. But I would put our performance up against any other orchestra's in the region. And the really good news? No injuries during set-up or tear-down. Other than the arthritic knee. And the bad back. But that's why God invented ibuprofen!
I found a little time to check out what Ike was doing over the weekend. Glad it wasn't as bad as expected, but amazed that it can angle off through the midwest and still cause problems! Hope those of you in his path get things back to normal soon!
I'm not sure whose site I found this on, but you should go check this Youtube link. I'm not a Craig Ferguson fan, but his almost 9 minute rant/monologue regarding the presidential campaigns, the media, and the right to vote in this country is probably the most down-to-earth presentation of what most Americans probably feel. It's weird to hear it in his Scottish brogue, but it's still a great rant!
Two disappointments in the area of fast food. I stopped off at McDonald's to get the McRib. While it's still as finger-licking messy as I remember, I'm thinking that the sauce is a bit different. To be fair, I bought another one a couple of days later. Still didn't do it for me. I don't know if the sauce has changed, or if my tastes have. Domino's now offers oven-baked sandwiches. I ordered the Chicken Parm. Again, to be fair, I'll order one of their others, but I'm not holding out hope that I'll be thrilled.
Watched a new documentary on the History Channel last week. "102 Minutes That Changed the World" gives a new look at the events of 9/11 through photographs, videos and radio recordings from the NYPD, the FDNY, the Port Authority, professional journalists and amateurs. No narration, no script, and no fancy editing. Just a very subtle soundtrack that you probably won't even notice.

The various videos are spliced together somewhat chronologically. It gives a view that the news stations couldn't. Personal vantage points. Video of the chaos on the streets, and in various buildings. Some from inside the WTC buildings, to as far away as Hoboken. Perhaps the most intense scene is from the NYU students who are just a couple of blocks away in their 32nd floor apartment, hearing the comments in disbelief that they are seeing people jumping, rather than chairs falling out. Or their horror as they see the second plane hit the towers. And the sheer panic to get out of their own high-rise. Or perhaps it's the husband and wife telling each other in disbelief that one, then both of the towers had collapsed, and telling their little girl to go back into her room and watch her movie. Or seeing the same little girl telling her baby brother that the towers are "all gone". To fill out the two-hour block, the remaining 18 minutes feature the actual people whose videos were used. Talking about what they saw, why they taped it, and how it's affected them over the years.

Of any 9/11 documentary I've ever seen, this is one that should not be missed!
I was asked if my week slows down, now that this first concert is out of the way. For the most part, it does. Rachel is in town visiting family, and after a bit of a glitch, Moose is going to be here on Tuesday on her way to Alaska (driving. with 3 neurotic cats and her dad!). Beers will be consumed. It will be the last time the three of us will be together for awhile, I'm afraid.
That's about it for now!

No comments: