Thursday, September 04, 2008

Grooming HNT #2

Sometimes you people surprise the heck out of me. I never would have thought that my "Grooming HNT" from last week would elicit so many "I love watching a man shave..." comments as it did. So we'll see what happens this week!

Those who have been around for awhile know that my dad is a retired dentist. I definitely remember a variety of images and smells from my youth, and Dad's early days in practice. I don't recall why he was doing it, but I would watch him for hours at home as he used to sculpt wax molds over the plaster casts of patients' teeth (presumably for dentures or partials). The odor of the Bunsen burner, mixed with the smells of his Lucky Strikes and Dentyne. His deft use of various dental tools as he moved from flame to wax to hand towel, and back to the flame. Of course there were the smells of burning tooth enamel as he used his drill when preparing a tooth for a filling. Memorable, but not quite as nice.

Of course, we all had to brush our teeth twice a day, without fail. Nothing worse for a dentist than to have one of his kids with a mouthful of cavities! And for as long as I can remember, the toothpaste of choice was Crest. Back when there was only one version of Crest. Not the various flavors and specialties that any of them come in now. And while I've "explored" other toothpastes, I always come back to the one that I grew up on! For the record, I'm one of those who was taught to squeeze the tube the correct way--from the end!! And rolling up the end as it's squeezed out the top. Though you can't do that now with the new-fangled tubes they have now. but I digress, as usual...

So here I am, in the second phase of my daily grooming. I'm not a messy brusher. I don't have the foamy mouth, or look like a rabid dog, nor do I drip foamy spit down my chin. Don't worry, there won't be a showing of any further phases. That would be wrong on SO many levels!


This Shiraz has a deep, rich ruby red color with notes of plum and berry on the nose. It is robust and full-bodied on the palate with nice fresh fruit.

Food pairing:
Pairs well with grilled meats.

Country: AUSTRALIA
Region: SOUTH EASTERN AUSTRALIA
Grape Varietal: SYRAH
Type: Still wine

This week's Mystery Guest will be revealed Thursday afternoon. Come back to find out who she might be!

This week's was probably a tough one! The lovely Mystery Guest is the one and only Honey! Go check her and Mickey in pink!

Lots of new people in "...the Other HNT" this week. Be sure you stop by and leave a comment for your fellow HNTers! As usual, NSFW!
Those of you who play in fantasy football leagues might be interested in this article from the Wall Street Journal. The short story--you can now plunk down money to play a weekly fantasy football team for weekly payouts in the State of Montana! And you're not stuck with the same team each week! Play as much as you want, with as many different fantasy teams as you'd like to form! Not sure yet if I'm going to play, but it's certainly more fun than the lottery! If you want to check out the site running the sports action, go here!

No comments: