Thursday, May 01, 2008

Best Laid Plans....

So...

A couple of months ago, Moose lets me know she's got 2 tickets in row 4 for "Jesus Christ Superstar". I'm jacked, so I find a decently-priced (for Montana) airline ticket, from Bozeman to Minneapolis. She's excited that I'm actually flying to Mpls for the weekend, and all is good.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. Rachel and I are in my car, and it's running a little funny. There's a burning rubber smell, like a belt, and my "service engine soon" light is on. I later determine that the smell was from a passing car, but the light comes and goes, and there's a fluttering sort of sound from the engine. I make an appointment to take the car in.

Fast forward again to yesterday. Short story (ha!)--I am without vehicle. The intake manifold gasket is leaking (badly) and allowing coolant to mix in with the oil. I don't know what that means exactly, but it doesn't sound right. The solution? Take the engine apart, flush it, replace the gasket, full oil change, etc., etc. I don't know what all that means either, but I'll be forking out about $1100 for the privilege. And I won't get the car until sometime next week...

I've spent the better part of today looking for a way to get to Bozeman. Ran through everyone in the family. There's only one "spare" car available, but if it were road worthy to make it to Bozeman, my niece would already have it there. Normally, I'd get Rachel to drive me down, but now that she lives 200 miles in the opposite direction, I don't see that happening. Right about now, I would imagine that Moose is ready to call me on the phone, because I haven't discussed any of this with her. (edit: HA! The post wasn't up for 15 minutes before I got her phone call!)

Good news, such as it is, is that Enterprise Car Rentals has cars for a flat fee of $15/day, with no mileage charge. I can handle that. So at 8:00 in the morning, I'll be headed for Bozeman in my rental car, and boarding a plane for Minneapolis (via Denver). Tomorrow night I'll be having dinner with Moose and enjoying a lovely spring evening in the Twin Cities (wearing a parka). I'll have my computer with me, but I doubt I'll be online much until I get home on Sunday. Look for pictures and a report then!

No comments: