Monday, June 25, 2007

Musical Monday #20

With my mouth being in excruciating pain last week, I spaced out Musical Monday last week. To make up for that, I offer alot of choices...

As previously mentioned, I'm concentrating on the music of George & Ira Gershwin. I seriously doubt that any of you wouldn't recognize some of their songs. One of the most recognizable, and most recorded, of their vast song catalog is "Summertime", from their opera Porgy and Bess. It has been recorded in just about all contemporary styles, and by just about anyone who's anyone. And that's what's great about their music--it's pretty much timeless.

Since this is the first Musical Monday of the summer, I've picked 6 different versions of this song. Couldn't find a decent recording of Janis Joplin/Jimi Hendrix, but I did find versions by Sublime (whom I'm finding I wish I'd listened to back in the day...), The Zombies (best known for "She’s Not There" and "Time Of The Season"), Ray Charles and Cleo Laine, Tori Amos, Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, and a wonderfully soulful version by Carl H. Hall. Enjoy the summer!

Image hosting by Photobucket





No comments: