Monday, May 16, 2005

Busy week ahead

For whatever reason, I find that I'm really busy this week. Primarily because of Symphony rehearsals. Our last concert of the season will be Saturday. An Americana-type concert. Gershwin, Bernstein, Sousa--you get the picture. It'll be good to get this season over with. The summer won't be anywhere near as intense.

Among those rehearsals, I also have to come up with a brass quartet to play music for a wedding. The bride had been involved in alot of music projects in town before she joined the Air Force, so we all know her pretty well. I couldn't get a brass quartet, so I'm having to rewrite one of the parts for tenor sax. It'll be an interesting sound, if nothing else. We also have to find time to get together to rehearse this--wedding is in 10 days.

Tuesday, I have another day at court with jury duty. Those of you who are regulars know that this is the 3rd time I've been called this year. My first experience can be read about here. The second time was scheduled for St. Patrick's Day, which was going to seriously cause problems with my plans for the day. It was cancelled a day or two in advance, so that was nice. I hope I actually get to do something this time around! I'll fill you in with the gory details, if there are any....

One of the big deals in town this week is the opening of the new 8-screen Cinemark movie theater. Helena has been limping along with the same 4 screens (2 theaters) for over 30 years. Same gum under the seats, same popcorn on the floor. They're gross, cramped, and have less than decent sound systems. This new place is smack dab in the downtown area, which will be a blessing to all. Their grand opening is Thursday, which is also the opening date for the new Star Wars movie. Yes, I've got my tickets (purchased online, also a foreign concept to Helena), and will be going with Eye Girl, who is back for the summer from optometry school. (Note to self: she prefers to be called "The Goddess", rather than "The Princess", as I had earlier written.)

Finally this week--I have to keep my eyes open for Rolling Stones tickets for their concert in Portland (that's where I've decided to go see them. I'll be taking The Goddess, who conveniently lives there during the school year). Also on sale this week will be tickets for Alison Krauss & Union Station in Missoula and in Bozeman. I'm opting for the Bozeman show. I highly doubt that I'll be able to pull off the front row like I did with Moose a couple of years ago, but who knows?
P1010066_1
Here's Moose, Alison and me after her concert. It was taken with a cheap-ass camera, it was dark, the flash was wonky, and her security guy was a dufus. She looks tired, but she's allowed. Moose and I are smiling because we're both touching her butt! Unless I can find a pre-sale, AKUS tickets go on sale Friday.
iTunes: The PiƱa Colada Song, Rupert Holmes

No comments: