Friday, April 01, 2005

God Bless You, John Paul II

gpii_index

His death hasn't been announced yet, but it seems inevitable. I hope he hangs on for a little bit longer, sort of giving the news channels the finger! And the right-to-lifers, too. (He apparently already has a living will.)

I wouldn't consider myself a devout Catholic. Mostly because of laziness on my part. But I am Catholic. Having grown up with Pope Paul IV, and remembering the time when we had three different popes in one year, and seeing Pope John Paul II surviving an assassination attempt. It saddens me that we're about to lose him. But it's also a time to celebrate, because he is starting his new life. In watching the news tonight, it was nice to see the video of him early in his papacy. He was so vibrant, energetic and full of life. It was hard to remember that he was like that, after seeing him over the past few months.

God bless you, John Paul II! And good luck to whomever is chosen next!

No comments: