Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Nashville Star

I'm flipping through channels, waiting for something decent to come on, and I end up watching "Nashville Star". Not something I would normally watch (I'm proud to say that I've never watched one second of "American Idol"). But, gosh darn it, Leann Rimes caught my eye....

On an unrelated historical note, I was front row center at one of her concerts about a year and a half ago. Got pictures, the autograph, and the eternal gratitude of the young lady I took to the concert. The girl has more talent than any of those wannabes in pop music, and her head screwed on a whole lot better! Now back to Nashville Star....

I only caught the last 20 minutes or so, but there was plenty to ponder. Primary question--if you're in Nashville, and you're producing a show called "Nashville Star", which is a show to find the next country superstar, why would you choose Bret Michaels as one of the judges? You remember Bret Michaels--not the wrestler, but the lead singer for the 90's heavy metal hair pop group Poison? Now I'm not putting down him or Poison--I admit that I like alot of their music. But couldn't they get Vince Gill or George Strait or Willie Nelson? Hell, even the guy who sings that deep bass voice with the Oak Ridge Boys would be a better choice. Someone who at least looks good in a cowboy hat!

The other thing that got me wondering--what was Burger King thinking when they came up with their latest commercial? The one with the Hootie (of the Blowfish) lookalike, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, and the children of the cast of "Hee-Haw". Big hooters, long legs, and sexual innuendo all over the place. All to sell their tender crispy chicken cheddar ranch bacon double whatever. Have it your way--gotta love it!

Finally, I got to see the girl who ran offstage with no explanation. I'm assuming that having a NATIONAL TELEVISION AUDIENCE finally got to her, and she had to go toss her cookies. She showed up for the final curtain call, with a big smile on her face. A good puke will generally do that for you!

No comments: