Monday, February 07, 2005

In Cahoots w/the Mob Rules Horns


Lizabeth suggested when I first started this blog that I include a listing of the gigs that people might be able to catch us at. That's not a bad idea, so I've included that in the sidebar under the heading "Leaving the Back Row". I'll keep it updated as best I can. Things are a little slow right now, but will pick up quite a bit as the summer approaches.

This will also be the first installment of the Cast of Characters. This is In Cahoots w/the Mob Rules Horns. Yes, I know that name is too long, but it works for us! There is a history involved in the Mob Rules name, so we keep it. We play a wide variety of music. Swing, country, disco, rock, polkas, Sousa marches--whatever comes up. We're a cover band. In other words, we don't write any of our own music. But we have our own arrangements. And it's surprising how well you can add horns to country music! The horn line consists of two trumpets, alto sax, and two trombones. One of the trumpet players will often jump on the acoustic guitar or the bass, and I'll throw in some keyboard stuff. I'm proud to say that the horn line doesn't do choreography. That would be more than scary!

We mostly play for the "fancier" parties in town, wedding receptions, private affairs, and a number of outdoor street dances. We have pretty much given up on playing the weekend bar scene for a variety of reasons, primarily because there's a severe shortage of places to play in this town! And the places that DO have live music generally have stages way too small for our merry band of musicians. We range in age from about 25 to 55. Plus we've recently added the second trombonist, who's 16. Talented little shit. I'd walk you through the band members, but the picture up above is a little old, and the personnel has changed some. I'll do the individual members at a later date.

So that's the band. I'll keep the schedule updated, and hopefully get a newer picture of us. If we're in your neck of the woods, try to come see us. And be sure to stop up and say hi!

No comments: