Friday, February 25, 2005

Criminal Behavior

There's very little in life that gets me riled up anymore. I attribute ignorance, self-righteousness and stupidity, as well as alot of other things, to basic human nature. I generally just shake my head in disbelief, happy in the thought that I'm above all that. Fortunately, most people I know don't let the stupid things that other do/say bother them much. (Though I can't stand ignorance. The type where you just want to slap some sense into their heads. Not the ignorance that comes from lack of knowledge, but ignorance like calling the purple Tele-Tubby gay, or not knowing how to deal with a 4-way stop.).

Then I run across something like this. The Kansas attorney general wants the medical records of about 90 women and girls who had late-term abortions, saying he needs the materials to investigate crimes. Are you kidding me??? Just look at the picture of him--looks like someone shoved a stick up his ass. Or maybe just his head.

I was raised Catholic, and would still consider myself one, but I've also been a high school teacher who has seen plenty of students (girls and boys) suffer through the agonies of having, or not having, an abortion. And to anyone who thinks that teens are going to give up sex, see my rant about ignorance in the first paragraph! In my typical, apolitical way, I don't have a firm stance on this issue, and thank God that I've never personally had to deal with this among anyone close to me. But I know that what this guy is trying to do, and has been doing in secret since October, totally undermines the civil rights of all involved. Regardless of which side of the abortion issue you stand on, how can you justify what this guy is trying to do? He happens to be "a staunch opponent of abortion", which makes his motives suspect, at best.

I'm sure there are some of you out there who are much more eloquent than me, but am I wrong? Just though I'd share this because, for some reason, it struck a nerve. And that's not normal for me.

No comments: