Monday, June 29, 2009

Thunderbirds!

Sort of a lazy weekend. Still working on that music transcription that was supposed to be done last weekend. It's been sitting on the back burner for a bit, as the only thing left to do is the boring detail work of preparing each part for printing. Just making sure that notes and text and all the other stuff don't crash into each other, yet still make the part readable. Made a big dent in it all, so only a day or two left!
I attended the wedding on Saturday of a former student of mine. A good, old-fashioned Catholic wedding. Gotta love 'em. The bride was quite lovely, and the groom looked nervous. It was a bit humorous at times as there were a few times where it sounded like we were getting divebombed (see below).

Fortunately, no lightning bolts crashed down on me for stepping in the doors. It did make me realize that it's been an inexcusably long time since I've been to Mass. Might have to do something about that...
The other excitement of the weekend was the air show that was in town. Special guests were the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. In years past when they come to town, I'd sit up on a hillside that looks over the entire valley and get an almost 360° view of them. Unfortunately, there are now townhouses built on that site. So I opted to just watch from my balcony.

Damn, I would love to have been a pilot! Though I'm sure that I'd be throwing up in the cockpit on a regular basis. They were a joy to observe. And loud?? OMG! The buzzed past the church a few times as they were warming up for their Saturday show. Seriously...dust was falling from the light fixtures! I got home in time to watch their Saturday show, and kicked myself for not taking pictures. So I took care of that Sunday. I took almost 60 pictures, but maybe got 15 where a fighter was actually in the shot. I had my digital zoom on full, and it was hard to catch them in the viewfinder. And if they were close (and many times, they were only a few hundred feet above the houses) they were damned fast! And I had no luck at all trying to follow. But here's some shots. Click 'em to big 'em! I highly recommend it!




No comments: