Sunday, June 22, 2008

On a lighter note...

As per my annual tradition, I was up before the sun on Saturday to watch the sunrise on the longest day of the year. The longest day. A day to do as much as possible in the allotted amount of sunlight. The most sunlight of the year. Wish I could thrill you with stories of all that I accomplished. Ain't gonna happen. At least it was a long day for me to waste!
Anyone who's read me here for any length of time knows that I have a "thing" for anything/everything doing with Mt. St. Helens (it's scary to me that some of you weren't even born when it blew...). One of the things I have on my Powerbook is the MSH VolcanoCam. A camera pointed at the mouth of the volcano from about 5 miles away. Operating all year (though if it goes bad in the winter, it's spring before they can fix it), 24/7. Most of the time, there's not much to see. Occasionally you can see an ash plume. Or watch a storm blow through. Or through the website's archives, you can see a QT movie of the effects of a total lunar eclipse against the mountain! These two shots were found on Thursday and Friday nights, catching the full moon. (click 'em to big 'em!)



This is what it looks like at this very moment. Sometimes the pics aren't all that great. Yeah, I'm a geek for these sorts of things...

No comments: