Thursday, February 28, 2008

Appendages HNT

This past week has been nothing but a blur of music stands, risers, percussion equipment and U-Hauls. I get up in the morning, go to work (which is actually the only real time to get online), then leave to either set-up, move or rehearse, and get home sometime after 11. Of course, I can't get to sleep right away, then I have to get up early the next morning and do it all over again. Fortunately, I'll be done Friday afternoon!

All this time consumption, of course, has cut into my HNT time. This post was put up by a guest. I had no ideas for a picture, or time to take one if I did. And then it happened. Anyone who has been around here for any length of time knows that I generally injure myself during symphony week. Or at least draw blood. I'm happy to report that the trend continues...


Sure, it's not as exciting as past efforts, but I've got two bruises forming there on the right that are going to be quite attractive, and the scratch, though minor, bled enough to probably ruin a tux shirt (which actually needed to be replaced anyway)! So there you have it. If you want something more colorful, click the picture. A leftover from last week's HNT that I didn't get done in time to include...

Now here's a set of appendages that make stopping by here worthwhile. Granted, the "mystery" part of Mystery Guest is sort of lost here, but what the heck. With legs like that, I can live with it! But for those of you who don't recognize them, let me help you out...

This has been a tumultuous 12 months for our MG. One might say she's become a different person. To some degree, she has. But not so much as she may think. She'll be getting back into teaching her pole class this weekend--just another sign that she's easing back to "normal". She's one of your favorites--certainly one of mine!

We'll reveal her later on Thursday evening, for those of you who still don't recognize her (or are too new to know!).

This one should have been fairly easy. It was, of course, Evening! And to answer a question or two from the comments--yes, she does have a pole in her bedroom! Check out this week's HNTs, and see some video of her in action, too!

With my apologies, "...the Other HNT" will be delayed by a day. The good part of that is that it gives some of you an extra day to send something in. Sort of like Leap Day. If you've never participated over there, it would be a great way to celebrate that oddity known as Leap Year! I can say that the ones that have come in so far will make this a definite NSFW week!
Don't forget the big theme for next week--"I Love My Mac!" HNT. Click the link (or the one at the top of the sidebar) to get all the juicy details!
A little bit of blog pimping.... BadBadGirl started a naughty little contest over on her site. While it was a guy that made her think of a contest, I suspect that the ladies are encouraged to play along too! Go check it out.
Lastly--a nice little story from Monday night. The two concerts we played on Sunday and Monday were held at the Cathedral of St. Helena. I've shown pictures of it in prior posts. It's a major focal point of the Helena skyline, such as it is (other than the mountains...). Anyway--we play/sing behind the main altar. The bad thing about it, and the bane of my past week, is that the whole orchestra has to be struck so that they can have daily Mass during the day. We got a concession that the chorale set-up could stay, but the orchestra had to clear out. That means I was back at the church a full 2 hours before concert time to reset the orchestra. All the chairs, all the stands, lights on each stand, and percussion equipment.

I noticed that a frail looking woman was wandering up and down the aisles, looking at the stained glass windows and various artwork. She looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place her. I figured she was an usher that just happened to be there quite early. About an hour before the concert, the audience started coming in, and she sat quietly in the front pews. By this time, I'm sweating, and wondering if I was going to be done by the time the concert started. With about 20 minutes to go, I'm almost through. I have my hands full with the conductor's podium, and this same woman approaches me. I'm ready to find someone who could answer her inevitable question. (At this point, I should note that if I'm focused on something, I really don't like any sort of distraction, and can ignore just about anybody. And generally do.) I look at her, and she tells me to stop for a second (she HAD to have been a teacher in a past life). So I stop and set the podium down.

"I've been watching you for over an hour now, and just wanted to tell you that you're one of the hardest working people I've ever seen. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate it..."

Dammit. I hate it when people are nice...

No comments: