Saturday, February 09, 2008

Late Night Movie

I had honestly given thought to going to bed early tonight, but I made one last quick surf through the channels. And there it was, on the local cable access channel..."Reefer Madness"! If you've never seen it, get thee to YouTube and find it! Possibly the FINEST movie of 1936! As the lone, non-dope-smoking musician in America in the 70s, I remember how campy this movie was (and is). And it still holds up to that campiness. It's got a little bit of everything: reefers and rape; marihuana and murder; criminal insanity and chronic infidelity; marihuana addicts and merry sex fiends; pot and piano players; dope and deception. There's not another movie quite like it. Some stills:


Of course, the piano player was the biggest doper of all...

Of course, I then skimmed the channels one more time before heading to bed, and come face to face with the Robert Duvall and Martin Sheen/Wagner helicopters/surfing scene from "Apocalypse Now".
"...I love the smell of napalm in the morning..."

This is on until 2AM. I'll work on that sleep thing tomorrow...

No comments: