Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gosh, that was purty!

Last time a total lunar eclipse happened on the winter's solstice was on Dec. 21, 1638. With the possible exception of BTExpress, none of us were around to witness that. And minutely few of us will be around to see it again in the year 2094.

I suppose there's some sort of spiritual thing I should have felt as the clouds parted, and I watched that last sliver of white disappear, but I don't think I did. Probably the same feeling I should have watching the first sliver of white reappear at the end of it, but I'm going to miss that. It's freakin' 1° out there!

Not the most spectacular lunar eclipse I've seen (lower in the horizon/"bigger" moon), but this one was pretty cool. And it marks the first day of winter, meaning the days will be getting longer. And that's going to be a welcome thing!

Happy Winter Solstice to all!

5 comments:

Dana said...

I really wanted to see this, but our little snow storm decided I'd have to live to 104 if I wanted to see one. Grrrr ...

Anonymous said...

Oh. Missed that too!
Cheers,
Dyna :)
www.asiandyna.wordpress.com

Vixen said...

I saw it! It was awesome!

Gucci Mama said...

I missed it since it's raining so much here they've been providing us with the tools to build an ark.

Maggie said...

I didn't bother to stay up but I hear that there was too much snow/fog here to see anything good. Glad someone got to see it!