Friday, August 14, 2009

Friday Fill-Ins: #137 and other stuff...

Apparently, a tutorial is needed for the comment box. I'll include this again next Wednesday, as many won't see it before then. There's two main ways to do this so that you don't have to include your URL as part of your comment. First off, replace the word "Guest" with your own blogname. Seems obvious, but there were 5-6 "guests" this week! Secondly, click the word "From". You are given a list of options, and this is where you need to make a decision. Ignore all but two of the options. Trust me on this!
  • Your first option: "My Blogger Account". If you choose this, you'll be taken to a new window, and it will need to confirm who you are, login info to Blogger, etc. Obviously, if you use Wordpress, this isn't your option. If this option is chosen, then when you leave a comment, others will have to click your name, another box will open, and invite you to come to your Blogger site. Why it doesn't just go there...? I don't know.
  • Your other option: "My Other Site". If this option is chosen, then when you leave a comment, others will have to click the arrow-like icon next to your blogname, and it will jump directly to your site.
Obviously, the second option is much easier. I recommend it. Does this information remain every time you come to visit? I don't know. I hope it does. And why don't I just revert back to Blogger's comment options? I've tried. I've eliminated all Haloscan/J-S Kit code, but Blogger's code is either missing, or tied in with the other code. Of course, I could move everything over to the "new" Blogger (I just realized that most of you don't even realize there is an "old" Blogger!). If there's still alot of problems next week, I might have to bite the bullet...
I was pretty much ticked off all Thursday night. We had a 10 minute hail/rainstorm pass through town at around 5:30 (that's how it happens here--buckets upon buckets for a short amount of time, then the sun comes out...). I'm assuming it screwed something up because my ISP was down all night, finally coming back online after midnight. Hate it when that happens! So did I accomplish anything all night? Of course not!
We're set to lose a major piece of history this morning. We, meaning Helena. About three miles east of Helena is a small community called East Helena (we're a simple kinda folk here in Montana...), home to the last custom lead smelter in the U.S. Or, at least, used to be. It's been mothballed for years, and at 7:30 AM, the three remaining stacks are going to be simultaneously toppled. While East Helena can't be considered a smelter town anymore, it is actually growing as more people move to the Helena area. The impact of the smelter will be around for decades. Not only as "the company" to the families who have lived there for generations, but also the decades of lead poisoning affecting the kids who played in their contaminated front yards! The E.P.A.'s Superfund list had East Helena at the top of their list for years. While most people won't understand the passing of history in front of their faces, it's going to bring a bit of a tear to my eye. Just hope I'm upwind...

1. When will it begin to make sense?

2. I can't even recall what was the last good book I read or movie I saw or tv show I watched.

3. Everything has its beauty but too often it hides behind the beast.

4. Taco Bell is what I had for dinner.

5. I'd like your comments, no matter if you really know me or not.

6. Bed is where I want to be right now.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to uninterrupted internet service, tomorrow my plans include staying inside out of the rain and Sunday, I want to watch the PGA Championship with my dad!

No comments: