Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wednesday Weirdness #31: Thanksgiving Edition

I've never done a Wednesday Weirdness, but I liked this week's questions, so I'm in!

1. What are you thankful for this year? - Well, besides the obvious (family, health, etc.), I'd have to say it's some of the new friends I've made in the past year. There's a couple that have become very close. This isn't to diminish the thanks I've got for my old friends--one can never have too many! And thankful for the circumstances, means and abilities to meet some of them!

2. Since some of our participants are not in the US, what do you think about Thanksgiving? - Are you asking us to give our impressions for those of the non-American persuasion? Tough, that's the way I'm reading it! I think Thanksgiving has gone the way of most every other recognized holiday in the States. Some try to make it a religious holiday, which it isn't. Others look at it as the day before the "official" start to Christmas. Even more think of it as a day for men to watch football, and the women-folk to stay in the kitchen preparing a bountiful feast. Very little "giving of thanks" occurs during the day. Or sharing one's bounty with those who don't have it. I'm not saying I'm much better at any of that--I'm just saying that Thanksgiving has become sort of generic, like many other holidays. But I do like a good turkey dinner!

3. What is your favorite part of the holiday/ your least favorite. - Favorite part would definitely be the gathering of the family. Anyone who's read my blog knows we're pretty close-knit, and can actually stand being in the same room with each other! My least favorite, unfortunately, is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Not the parade itself, but the broadcast of it. Back in the day, you got the feeling you were there. Now the music is all canned, everyone stops and does their bit in front of the cameras, singers lip-synch, and the whole thing is just like an Orange Bowl halftime show--and don't get me going on what's wrong with that!

4. Mashed Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes? - Mashed, with giblet gravy! Big honkin' chunks of giblets! There's only one person's sweet potato salad I'll eat, and she's dead. So no more of those will pass these lips!

5. Do you own eating pants? Describe. - No. I tend to just grin and bear it until I get home, where I change into NO pants. Then fall asleep on the couch.

6. What is your favorite thing to do with the Thanksgiving leftovers? - Eat them? And they rarely last through the weekend.

7. Who are you most looking forward to seeing? Least? - No one, in particular. For either part. Though it will be nice to see Dad, rather than visiting him in the hospital!

8. Do you go shopping on the day after Thanksgiving? - Are you nuts?? I'm lucky if I can get my shopping done on the day before Christmas! And yes, I've waited that long... This year, though, there's some online specials that my boss wants me to snag for work, so I'll be doing that on Friday! I'm more than happy to shop and spend other people's money!!

No comments: