Saturday, October 13, 2007

Omnipotence, Holidays, Football, HNT Theme and Music

You know what's tough to accept? When you're an omnipotent know-it-all (such as myself), and you find out that you really don't know anything...
It's beginning to feel like the holiday season is on us. No obvious Christmas things yet (though there have been some "Christmas-suggestive" commercials on TV), but Halloween is certainly coming up quickly. I've already polished off two bags of mini-Milky Ways, and bought my first carton of egg nog!
My football teams keep winning. The #1 Griz will retain their FCS ranking, and Carroll won big, 42-0. In fact, the Saints haven't allowed a TD in 7 games! They've outscored their opponents 201-9. Not too bad! Oh, my former HS team has outscored their opponents 182-2 in the past 3 games.
Speaking of college football, do you realize the championship game in the Sugar Bowl (is it the Sugar Bowl this year?) could very well be between Boston College and South Florida?? Who???
A programming note--we have a theme for Halloween. It will be for the HNT of Halloween week (31st, for those of you who post on Wed. night). I would LOVE to see some of you do something half-nekkid with pumpkin guts....
A couple of CDs that have caught my eye... Any of you who have read my blog for any length of time know that I'm a sucker for Christmas music. I've got more Christmas CDs than any normal person should. Shaddup...

The newest Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album came out this past Tuesday, title "Christmas Song". I don't know if I've gotten spoiled by prior releases, or if I had higher expectations, but this one just didn't grab me on the first listen. It could be that the songs that make up the track listing for this one are songs, as opposed to carols. All secular. I'm sure I'll listen to it alot, and my opinion will change some, but my initial reaction should be considered lukewarm, at best.

On the other hand, you might have seen this advertised on the iTunes store. Robert Plant (of Led Zeppelin fame) and Alison Krauss (I touched her butt once!) have teamed up for an album that comes out on October 23rd. While it seems like an odd combination at first, if you think about some of the old Zeppelin stuff, it seems like it could work. While you can't hear any clips from iTunes, you can find them on Amazon. It's an interesting sound. A little subdued. Almost dead, at times, but it's a winning combination. It's nice to hear her outside of her normal bluegrass sound--she does alot of guest vocals on rock albums that you wouldn't be aware of--and even though he's looking every bit his age, Plant still has that distinctive voice. This is definitely a keeper! Once it comes out...

No comments: