Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dictatorship & Weekend Recap

After reading that Leesa and Spinning Girl had switched to the new Blogger, I proclaimed that I'd stick with the old version until it was ripped out of my hands. Well, guess what happened Sunday? Yep, my hands are bloody from the fight. I should say that it was relatively painless, and I haven't found anything screwed up. Yet. Still skeptical, but I guess we don't really have a choice. Dictatorship is alive and well!
The symphony concert Saturday night went very, very well. Played the Dvorak Cello Concerto with an outstanding soloist, already considered a rising star at the age of 24! She played with the New York Philharmonic earlier this month, and the Chicago Symphony last fall, I believe. Now she's played with us!

The other piece we played was one of my favorites--Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition". It was my first chance to ever play it. Hope to do it again!
The set-up for this concert was an eye-opener for me. Not the actual stage plan, but the incredibly inefficient way that it's been done over the years. Equipment and instruments scattered in 5 different places in town. Requiring far more work than needed. And speaking of work, I found out exactly how physically out of shape I am. Not that I've ever been one to be "in" shape, but I was huffing and puffing pretty heavily, and I've got joints that hurt in ways that they haven't in years. Gonna have to do something about that...
After the concert, I had an interesting conversation with the wife of one of our musicians. He's probably close to 60, I'd guess. His wife informed me that she really liked my blog. WHAT?!?! Yes, she's seen many of yours, too, as she checks out many of those in the sidebar! Just an odd experience...
Spent most of Sunday afternoon at Rachel's drinking beer, eating Howard's pizza, and watching DVDs. We need to do more of that soon. Oh, and I finally got my Christmas present from her! Thanks, hon!
The worst thing about symphony week is that I fall behind on checking blogs and getting to chat at a relatively decent hour. I hope to catch up soon!

No comments: