Friday, June 15, 2012

June

June used to be one of my favorite months. The beginning of summer. The end of school. Not too hot yet. Time to figure out how to spend the free time for the next 100 days or so. Now...? Not so much. BIL2 died in June. Dad's 79th birthday would have been today. Father's Day is, for all intents and purposes, a needless "holiday" now (certainly not ever going to be celebrated for ME!).

It's not that I have any ill will towards June. It's just not what it used to be. Instead of spending the weekend doing the family thing (Father's Day and Dad's bday have always been within days of each other), I'll probably be spending most of it in the symphony office (more on that below). I'll most likely get up and greet the sunrise on the first day of summer though. Some things will never change!
There's a very attractive younger blond who works in the billing dept. at my doctor's clinic. I have to see her about once a month for diabetic stuff. Recently she got a tattoo on the outside of her left arm in a pretty script - "Imperfection is beauty". I told her it looked great, though if it had been misspelled...
Bought my ticket for a concert in August, which will be just in time for my decompression from the big summer concert. It's also the impetus for a new OsTour! No details yet, but I'll be sure to share when things get shaped up!
Speaking of the big summer concert...things are rolling along fairly smoothly so far. I've gotten most of the bridges burned in the past rebuilt. We've got a Grammy Award-winning guest artist joining us. All is good (but a lot of work!). The bumps in the road are the responsibility of others, such as getting the musicians, housing, pressuring donors, etc. My biggest obstacle right now is finding a vendor who wants to sell beer/wine at this thing. With an estimated crowd of 12-15,000, you'd think that someone would jump at the chance! And my biggest concern is something I have no control over -- the weather. So I'm trying not to think about that too much.
The current Pandora station I'm listening to at work is "Western Swing". The really old twangy country stuff from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Yet another music genre that I've had no real appreciation for. Some of it doesn't sound much different than the jazz recordings of the day. I'm certain that in a recent prior life, I must have lived in Nashville. Damn, I do love that town!

4 comments:

Dana said...

I shall be waiting - with bated breath - to learn if the Os tour heads east ... without skipping over the Midwest!

Cheeky Minx said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your good weather. Actually, I think it might be working since we've had miserable weather for an age!

Lori said...

Big hug for you on your Dad's Bday..
and another on sunday.. Know I am thinking of you.
((((((((((((( hug )))))))))))))))

MinorityReport said...

Sending some hugs your way.

Maybe you could change June to "O's Month" and make a new ritual, something you love, so that you can look forward to it. :) ...like traveling east. hehe.