Monday, January 25, 2010

Boring Stuff

I sometimes feel like I have to write something here, just so people don't think I've landed in the hospital again. Or worse...

Not a terribly exciting weekend. Saturday was spent at two full rehearsals, plus the loading in/out of equipment. We're playing Mahler this weekend. I'm not a huge Mahler fan, though, as a brass player, I should probably be flogged for that statement. I think it comes from a lack of exposure to his music. That being said, this particular symphony (his 7th, for those keeping score) is a great piece of music! So sitting through two full rehearsals in one day wasn't that bad! It was cold and snowy out, so it's not like I missed out on anything during the day.

Unfortunately, it was cold and snowy out, meaning that the load in/out happened in the cold and snow. I must be getting old in my old age, because that really wasn't all that bad either. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME??? I can't even bitch decently anymore! Ooh...here's something. Friday night, I loaded the truck and dropped it off at the rehearsal site for the night. I had to walk about a quarter mile to get back to my car. Not two steps away from the truck, I fell. The first of the snow came Friday afternoon, covering the ice from the week before. The ice that was as smooth as a freshly-zambonied rink. So I fell (I'd give it a 7.35--not very good at all) in one of those total body, bone-jarring falls. Landed mostly on my elbow. Which in turn jammed my shoulder. Which really hurt all day Saturday while loading in/out. Today--it doesn't hurt at all. I can't even get injured properly these days!
I have to set everything for Wednesday on auto-post, as I have to drive over to Missoula. I have a date with my favorite and oldest niece! She's over there now (finally...a fellow Griz in the family!) working on her PhD in toxicology. She's involved in research primarily, meaning she's making big bucks as a student. Well, big bucks compared to when I was a grad student there. Apparently, research pays grad students far better than music does...

Anyhoo, we have tickets to see "Jesus Christ Superstar" there. Remember back in 2008 when I went to see it with Moose in Minneapolis? Same production. Some changes in cast members, but Jesus is again played by Ted Neely (the some role he played in the original movie). I got front row seats (and pretty close to center, if my figuring is right) for this show, so I'm all sorts of excited! And my niece is too, even though she's not familiar with it. Full report is forthcoming...
So the Super Bowl is set. I was happy that the Colts won. Not because I like the Colts, but because my fantasy football team was loaded with them. And because I didn't get sucked into the whole Jets lovefest that seemed to crop up. I never really thought they belonged this deep into the playoffs (and wouldn't have made it as a wild card if the Colts had played them straight up in the last game of the regular season). As for the Vikes/Saints...I don't think the better team won, though I'm happy to see the Saints in the Super Bowl. I would have been happy with the Vikes, too, but they pretty much handed it away. I refuse to blame Favre for the loss--there was plenty of blame to go around. In any case, I'm rooting for the Saints. But they'll have to play a much better game than they did this weekend!

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Science research programs take really good care of their students. They're positively spoiled by grad student standards!

Moosekahl said...

I made my confirmation class watch JC Superstar with Ted Neely yesterday. They had to suppress giggles at times but they liked the music.

Anonymous said...

Damn shame about the Vikes and now the retirement talk again...
(ad nauseum it seems).

xx

Genevieve said...

Ouch that you fell, but good you didn't get serious boo boos. :)

I absolutely adore many classical pieces. Don't know a great deal of Mahler's work but really like his
6th.

Dana said...

I was really hoping the Vikings would make it, but then I was betting on the Chargers being there a couple of weeks ago. I think there might be a lesson in there some where!

Enjoy your "date" with your niece!

Violet Vamp said...

Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

nitebyrd said...

Enjoy the play!

Go! Saints!