Monday, January 28, 2008

So who authorized THIS????

I have to pay more attention during staff meetings or something. All last week during the various equipment moves for the symphony, I kept hearing that the temperatures were supposed to be nearing the low 30s. It never made it past the teens. Then, at some point during the concert itself, it found its way up to 42!! Made the load-out that much nicer! All day Sunday, I don't think it ever got below 40, and was mid-40s for most of the day. Made it very nice to unload equipment from the truck. Only leaving two timpani to take to the heated, climate-controlled storage facility first thing Monday morning. It was still above 40 last night after leaving S3's house after a birthday dinner for my nephew.

So imagine my surprise this morning, waking up to "light snow" and -6 degrees (and a wind chill of -24)! What jackass OK'd THIS??? It is now 9AM, timpani have been delivered, highways have been closed east of town due to ZERO visibility, and the temperature is now COLDER! (-9/-34 wind chill) Maybe this is all just a bad dream...
The concert went very well. And was very well received. Just damned exhausting. I've said it before--the mental fatigue of two intense 3-hr rehearsals, and then a performance, in the span of about 26 hours is a killer. Then tack on the physical fatigue of setting up and tearing down--and you end up with one tired Os! I ended up sleeping until 10, and then napped from 12-3. Still ended up getting to bed early...
Happy to report that the farting fiddler didn't appear at the concert!
INJURY UPDATE--Unless I slip and break an ankle while returning the U-Haul, I'm happy to report that I've made it through this concert without injury, scratches, or spilled blood! I still have a chill in the body though, so if it turns into an all-out cold or worse, I'll have to tack it on to this concert...
I have a date Wednesday night! If the weather cooperates...
New beer recommendation--Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. Not quite as good as the Flathead Cherry beer made by a Montana brewery, but you can buy the the Sam Adams in the store. MMMMMmmmmm!

No comments: