Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stuff, and TMI Tuesday #205

Hey! I'm back! Symphony concert went quite well. Not perfectly, but the second half with our guest soloist, Stewart Goodyear, was pretty solid. He played the Gershwin Piano Concerto, which is a hugely underrated piece of music. It's fun, it's difficult, it's a bit jazzy. He's somewhat of a Gershwin expert, and is one of the rising stars in the classical music arena. It's sort of daunting to have someone who just soloed with the Philadelphia Orchestra (one of the "big five") last week playing here, but I think he enjoyed himself. He LOVED our new Steinway! And he got a rousing standing ovation, prompting him to play an encore (which we haven't gotten in at least ten years). He played a beautiful version of "Embraceable You", which is my favorite Gershwin song. You could have heard a pin drop in the place. A perfect ending to a pretty good evening.

As a postscript--because I know you want to know...no blood was shed this weekend!
I watched football all day Sunday. As I was flipping through channels, I stopped off at the Emmys. Now, it's well known that I don't watch much TV, so why would I bother with the Emmys? I didn't. Though the segment I caught was Neil Patrick Harris' opening number. I think he needs to be the full-time host. How can you not like a singing/dancing Doogie Howser?
Watched the Cowboys choke on it Sunday night. In spite of the hype and new stadium. Hey, Q! Think you can get us booked in there for my birthday??
Haloscan has hit yet again. Well, actually, not Haloscan, but J-S Kit. But no, now it's Echo. I'm really upset Haloscan sold out. Anyhoo, it now appears that my comment box appears at the BOTTOM of the window, and comments display down from oldest to newest. In spite of the fact that my options tell them to do it the opposite. Why is it that I'm the only Haloscan user that seems to have this problem???
I'm relatively certain that these are a repeat, or part of a MS/FB thing. I KNOW I've answered most or all of these before. Question is--will the answers be the same??


1. You can flip a switch that will wipe any band or musical artist out of existence. Which one will it be? - Well, my first inclination would be any boy band, but you know what? Take away the choreography and electronics and let them just sing acapella--they're generally damned good! There's got to be thousands of candidates here, but I'm not coming up with anyone. If I could wipe out an entire genre, it would be rap. OR what passes as "hard rock" these days. I might have to revisit this one later in the day. I should be able to answer it...
2. You seem to be having an excellent day because you just came across a hundred-dollar bill on the sidewalk. Holy crap, a hundred bucks! How are you gonna spend it? - Funny you mention that. I have a $100 gift certificate to use at the Brewhouse, but it expires Thursday. I'm not sure I can use it before then! But $100 cash? Fill up the gas tank, then buy comfort food with the rest. Or new underwear. Yeah, I know how to live! If I was in Vegas, I might lay down a bet or play the slots.
3. Rufus appears out of nowhere with a time-traveling phone booth. You can go anytime in the PAST. What time are you traveling to and what are you going to do when you get there? - I think I'd like to see the Big Bang. Of course, I'd step off to the side, out of the way...
4. What is your favorite curse word? - Gotta be a toss-up between sh*t and f@ck.
5. You have the opportunity to sleep with the movie celebrity of your choice. We are talking no-strings-attached sex and it can only happen once. Who is the lucky celebrity of your choice? - Besides Sean Connery? I'd have to say Vera-Ellen. Or maybe the young Maureen O'Hara.

Bonus (as in optional):You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what's even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice! What's it gonna be? - Gotta love a question based on "Gilligan's Island"! Without question, the power to transform into anything. Wanna fly? Change into a bird. Wanna be invisible in a room? Change into a piece of furniture.

No comments: