Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hairy HNT

I've decided to join in with ASM's idea showing of one of our flaws. But what to do? I thought about what a "flaw" is. And it's tough. HNT has always been about revealing ourselves. And the BEST part of HNT is that we, as a group, are so accepting of what everyone shows of themselves. Because we all know that there's something of our own bodies that we don't like and don't want to hear comments about. Granted, most of us still try to show ourselves in the best light possible.

So what's with a "flaw"? Can we really have a "flaw"? A "flaw" sort of implies a mistake. We are what we are. I assume that many who join in will show off a scar as a "flaw". I contend that most of those aren't "flaws" because they are there after saving a life or giving a life. A surgical scar for an appendectomy that runs halfway up to an armpit would be a "flaw", but the doctor's "flaw". A third leg growing out of your shoulder would be a "flaw", but that would be God's "flaw", and I'll let you debate whether God is flawless or not.

What I believe ASM is really driving at is more along the lines of parts of our bodies that we don't particularly like. So that's the definition I'll use. Which is good, because I've got plenty of flaws! Not including my character flaws! I actually made a list (which became quite depressing). But I finally came up with something that has bothered me through the years, and really has come to light relatively recently. And that's hair...

When I was little, I remember my dad taking me to the barber shop on Main Street and getting a crew cut. Every two weeks, without fail. I was fine with this, because I really wasn't at an age to think about such things. By the time I was about 8 or 9 though, I started watching "The Monkees" on Saturday mornings. Oh, how I coveted Davy Jones' hair! And later on, David Cassidy's. I'll admit it here...I had a boy crush on both of them. Deal with it. (and if you don't know who these gentlemen are, shame on you!)

It wasn't until one day that Mom asked if I wouldn't like to have hair like our neighbor's cousin (not the dirty hippy long hair, but the nice long hair that nervous school boards across the country started coming up with hair and dress codes for). That was a mistake, because after that, getting me to get a haircut was like pulling teeth. I'm surprised anyone hired me after college with the hair I had then. College is when I also found out that I couldn't grow a decent beard. I had patchy growth, and couldn't grow anything under my chin, or below my cheeks. Even today, those would be considered weak growing areas. I don't have much of a hairy chest, either. But I digress...

Skipping alot of years, let's just say that I've always had long hair. An occasional trek into short-ish hair, but always over my ears. This picture is from the spring of '04. It was pretty much this long until sometime in 2006. And then, in atypical form, I got my first true short hair cut in close to 40 years. It changed my profile completely. And it's when I first found a new flaw. The flaw I share with you today. (like how all this comes around full circle?)

When I started cutting my hair short, I found out that my ears grow hair around the edges. A lot of hair. And it grows at a rate that I have to generally shave it every two weeks. Especially now that I'm doing that fuzzy cue ball look. Where in the guidebooks did it say that I had to shave my ears??? I suppose it starts happening as you grow older. I had never noticed it under the long hair. It was just hidden. I'll let you imagine how long it had gotten before that first short cut. I was clueless. I don't even know when it started doing it.

So here, I share one of my many flaws. My hair-growing ears. Or, as someone who got a preview, "Ahhh look, you can pet it! Kinda like a furbie"! It's good to have friends... I warn you now--don't click it to big it. It ain't pretty! I'll spare you the pictures of the out of control nose hairs...




"There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South... Here in this pretty world Gallantry took its last bow... Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave... Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered. A Civilization gone with the wind..."


Our Mystery Guest will be revealed Thursday afternoon. Be sure to check back to see who it is!

Ooh...I'm late! This week's MG is the gorgeous Ms. Scarlett (anyone recognize the blurb as the opening frame from "Gone With the Wind??). Be sure to stop by and check out what quotes she used!





Seems like the long weekend caught some people off guard for "...the Other HNT". Still, there's some great pictures (NSFW)! Be sure to stop by and leave some comments for your fellow HNTers!
A heads up for all of you. Lecram will be hosting his annual Sarong HNT next week. Click the link for details!

No comments: