Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Fill-Ins: #141 (maybe) and other stuff...

Don't forget to take a moment to remember the men and women who were killed 8 years ago today.
I need to make some sort of comment regarding yesterday's HNTs. First off, I didn't think that so many would join in on ASM's idea. Thanks to her for the idea, to Morning Glory for sort of bringing the inspiration, and congrats to the many of you that joined in. I think it was one of the most intense HNTs that we've ever had. There was remarkable courage shown by some, and (as expected) civility in the comments. NY Diva had a great comment on one of them, "If I've learned anything this week it's that everyone has the same insecurities...and yet we're all actually great just the way we are!" That's about right! However...
There were plenty of comments left on my HNT of people apologizing for not doing the "theme" or feeling left out. Got some emails along those lines as well. What's up with that? Then it dawned on me that there's SO many newbies out there. I did a post quite awhile ago about what to look for in an official HNT theme.
  • First, there will always be at least two weeks notice prior to a theme. I'm not so vain as to think that everyone comes here on a daily basis.
  • Second, there will be a post announcing it, and the idea behind it.
  • Lastly, you'll see this: Theme Alert! at the top of my sidebar, with a link to the explanatory post.
I've been asked why there's not a weekly theme, or at least monthly. I think it takes away from the concept of HNT. Being told what to do each week. Some have suggested that themes are needed so that people have a focus. I disagree. The weekly panic of not having something prepared forces us to look inside ourselves to come up with something. Remember, half-nekkid is in the eye of the poster, not the reader. That is why there are only 2-3 themes per year. What happened yesterday was not a theme. It was a great success, and a wonderful experience (I hope) for those who participated, but certainly nothing that anyone should have to apologize for, or be scorned for not doing.
Wednesday was not a good day for me. I normally have my HNT and the OHNTs at least partially drafted by the time I head to work (mid-morning). Imagine my frustration when I repeatedly tried to get online, and nothing was happening. Well, not quite nothing. But it made dial-up look liked greased lightning. I finally contact my ISP, and after deciding they couldn't help me over the phone, they'd send a technician out. "We have a slot open between 2 and 4. Would that work?"

Realizing that this was Wednesday and I didn't have any alternative, I said yes and made plans to leave work early. In fact, I'd go into work early to get some personal time on the computer and load up the OHNTs, at least. That's when Blogger decided it wasn't going to let me upload any pictures. Was 09/09/09 supposed to be the new Y2K? I leave work around 1:45 so that I could meet the technician.

At 3:45, he shows up. Come to find that my ISP switched out to an upgraded piece of equipment. Then their discussion in the morning was that by doing it, they'd lost 47 cable modems in Helena area. Obviously, mine was one of them. It was too old to handle their new equipment. Or something like that. Anyhoo, he had a brand spankin' new cable modem in his truck. So, without letting me know that this switch was happening, they're forcing me to either rent the modem from them (which I'm doing for the moment), or I go out and buy a new one. Damn. Have to admit though, my internet's running a little faster!
We've been blessed around here over the past two years of not having any major forest fires' smoke around here. Compared to the previous number of years of having choking smoke around for all of August. Actual fires nearby have been non-existent. Until Wednesday. We've got a major one about 20 miles north of town. Not a danger to civilization, really, but some evacuations, and discussions of closing the area to hunting and recreation for a bit. I wouldn't mention it at all, except that the wind is currently blowing in from the north. Gotta love that taste of smoke!

And...here we go!

1. That's a reason to be.

2. Don't look there; I'm over here!

3. The possibilities include: the improbable, the unthinkable, and the imaginative.

4. Chili and pasta is one of my favorite cool day recipes.

5. How will you know if there's a little mouse jazz quartet playing in your refrigerator or not unless you open the door?

6. Give me warm waters, a gentle breeze and a stormy sky.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to symphony rehearsal, tomorrow my plans include more symphony rehearsal, plus football and Sunday, I want to graze in the grass!

No comments: