Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Chicago!


OK--I'll get two disappointments out of the way first. Due to the bizarre numbering of their seats, I was not on the center aisle, as anticipated. And probably the ONLY trombonist that could possibly be named when asking, "who's the best rock trombonist?" isn't on this tour! James Pankow is the answer, by the way. These two disappointments quickly disappeared. Second row is second row, and alot of the good stuff happened in front of us anyway. And the replacement guy on bone certainly knew his stuff! (I wonder why I didn't get the call....?)

I won't go into a review of what they did/didn't play, but they played it all like they've been doing this for 40 years. Which they have. Except the bass and guitar players. I don't think they're that old... There was only one song that I didn't know very well was one off of their latest album. They played alot of the big hits from the 70s. And a few from the 80s (their most successful decade, financially, but musically lacking...). Nothing from the 90s. And they played alot of stuff that I don't think I've ever heard them play in concert (this was concert #6 for me). Below are views from the second row (new blog title?). Be sure to click 'em to big 'em!







Other than the bone player, this current incarnation of the band has been together for at least 15 years, and actually hasn't changed much since the replacement of Peter Cetera. No choreography, no pyrotechnics, not so much as one "dirty" word. Just good old-fashioned horn rock. Nobody does it better!

No comments: