Friday, May 05, 2006

B

Saw this over at The Kat House, and figured I should steal it. I mean play it... She gave me the letter B.

This is how it works: Comment on this entry and I will give you a letter. Write ten words beginning with that letter in your journal, including an explanation of what the word means to you and why, and then pass out letters to those who want to play along.
  • BONE - As most of you know, I play the trombone. Commonly referred to in musical circles as the "BONE". Her name is Michelle. She has been the center of my musical life for the past 25+ years. I also play BASS guitar, and a bunch of other things prior to focusing in on the BONE. She is the one thing I have been most intimate with in my life (which only a musician would understand).
  • BONES - Not to be confused with the first word. I have broken a number of BONES in my life. Including: left wrist, right elbow, right ankle, left thumb, both big toes, nose, back (twice) and a little bone in the middle of the palm of my right hand. Maybe more, but that's all I can think of right now.
  • BEER - BEER would have to be considered my vice of choice. I'm the only musician who lived in the 70s who didn't smoke pot or try other recreational things. Liquor just doesn't do it for me (in spite of the massive amounts of rum I drank last week). BEER has always been the go-to vice. My favorite? Cold. Regardless of brand/flavor/color/cost. Since microbrews are the big thing around here, I've gotten a little bit picky, but not too much.
  • BALLS - Golf BALLS to be exact. There's a family tradition of golf that prevented me from never playing the game. My dad's father was a club pro, his uncles on both sides of his family won the MT state amateur title, my mother's parents lived off the 18th fairway of the local country club, and S2's husband (BIL2) is a club pro. Virtually everyone in the family golfs. Some better than others. Unfortunately, the REALLY good golf genes didn't filter down to me, but I do pretty well!
  • BBQ - Yes, it's a word! One of the best things that my family does is get together at least once a month for dinner. To celebrate holidays, birthday, or whatever. And most of the time, Dad will BBQ. It's been a longtime tradition in our family, and one of the reasons I think that we all turned out somewhat "normal".
  • BROKEN - This doesn't refer to the physical breaks that I described above. It refers to my life. I have been BROKEN. Specifically, around 16 years ago. I'm still not totally mended, and doubt I ever will be. And while I have come a long way, I find that I'm still BREAKABLE. I find that I hurt a little easier, and more often than I used to. And some pieces have BROKEN off that chip away at who I am. I'd like to think that it means that I resculpt myself from time to time, but I don't know how well I do that.
  • BROCCOLI - I love steamed BROCCOLI, but don't eat anywhere near enough of it. Comes from the days that Mom served it to us as kids, limp and sort of cold. She did the same with asparagus and spinach. Cold and out of the can. I've made peace with the BROCCOLI and fresh asaparagus (love it), but not the spinach. Oh, yes. Cauliflower, carrots, too! Still won't eat avocados, artichokes, tomatoes, mushrooms, or most squash.
  • BELCH - My nieces grew up with an uncle who could BELCH the aluminum siding off of a house. They loved it! Then my sisters would protest, and I would then only do it when I knew it would annoy them. I taught all of my sisters' kids to belch. They do quite well. Then I get in trouble. Ah, if the kids only knew how well their moms could do it!
  • BOSSY - I hate when a project needs to be done and there's people just standing around with their thumbs up their butt. I tend to get BOSSY. If I'm busy, and something needs to get done, I'll tell someone else to go do it. Doesn't matter if it's a kid or an adult. (of course, don't try pulling that shit with ME!)
  • BREACH - I take this one really seriously, especially since the whole HNT experience has exploded. I have always been someone that people feel comfortable telling things. I've heard more secrets than most should, seen pictures of things that no one else has, talked about others in less-than-complimentary ways and done things with others that no one should ever hear about. It is important to me to never BREACH the trust that others place in me. I've found out, however, that many times, it's a one-way street, and I've been BURNED by placing my trust in others. It's been that way most of my life.
  • BLUEGRASS - I'm not sure at what point I started listening to BLUEGRASS music. Within the past 10 years, though. I don't quite like the traditional stuff, but the new stuff is pretty good. It came as part of a change in my listening habits. I never used to like country, and now that's almost all I'll listen to. The "rock" music of today (the past 10-15 years) is mostly crap. So BLUEGRASS and country is what I focus on. Of course, the classical and jazz that I own gets alot of play, and the music of my youth will always be special, but I'm finding that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
Yes, I listed 11 words, but the first two are so close, I figured I'd cover my BUTT for those who insist on purity. By the way, that's a word that I purposely avoided, as well as BREAST, BOOBS and BOTTOM. Just too damned easy! If any of you want to play and get assigned a letter, leave a comment and let me know!

No comments: