Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Magic Happening HNT

This should be the last I write about this past weekend's concert... A couple of things I didn't mention earlier in the week. By the way, I went back and found that I rated last year's concert an 8.5. This year, I'm happy to rate it in the 9.25-9.5 range!

First off, Dad made it to the concert! You might remember last week that there was some question regarding whether he'd be up to it or not. Part of the procedures last week, besides testing his blood and getting some bone marrow, was to get a 2-pint transfusion of blood to hopefully get things stabilized. So between the blood-letting for testing, and the transfusions that took about 4-5 hours, and the retrieval of bone marrow (not like on "House"...they numbed his hip), he spent just about 8 hours there. I saw him before the concert, and he looked pretty good. Didn't complain about the heat (in his cold-blooded state these days, I'm sure he loved it!). Didn't complain about sitting. Complained a little bit about the sun in his eyes, but he had his sunglasses on and a cap pulled down low, so there's not much more that could have been done there. In other words, he seemed just fine! Oh, we also discussed the fact that I seem to have inherited his knees (arthritic). His have been replaced, so he told me that when he dies, and he's cremated, I can have his. Score!!

Speaking of...I have neglected giving my injury report. Two years ago, some of you might recall that I almost snapped my leg in half, and the months that I blog-milked that incident. Last year there was a bit of heat stroke/exhaustion that I suffered about 5 days afterwards. This year, there were only two injuries. Well, the first one is sort of lumped together--my legs are always getting scraped and scratched. This year was no exception. No deep cuts, though, and minimal blood loss! The other injury happened as we were raising the stage roof the first time. It was lowered so that lights could be attached to the roof. I had no real business on the stage, but while I was there, I turned to grab something. Since the roof was lowered, I had that crouching feeling (short people out there might not understand that...). Apparently I didn't crouch enough, as I ran head-on into a low beam. Right on top of my head. I had the split-second "white flash", followed immediately by the split-second "black flash", and then a few seconds of trying to regain my bearings. The rest of the crew laughing at me snapped me back to reality... It didn't really hurt, and I always fear biting my tongue in half when that happens, but it really didn't bother me. Until yesterday. My neck and shoulders are stiff, stiff, stiff...

And I sunburned my face and neck. I'm peeling. Flakes of skin falling all over the place. Yes, it's sort of disgusting.

For HNT, I took a shot exactly 72 hours after my HNT from last week from the same place. The magic is happening. About 30 minutes before the concert is about to start. About 15-16,000 people in attendance. Of course, it would have been much better if I'd taken this shot vertically like I did last week, but at least you can see part of the crowd! Can you find me??


It didn't dawn on me until this morning that I didn't have anyone scheduled to be the Mystery Guest this week. Sorry about that... Remember, if you want to be the MG, just email me!
"...the Other HNT" is up and ready to go though! Be sure to stop by and check out your fellow HNTers!
Heading up to Kalispell for the weekend to see Rachel. She's been gone for over a year, and we've maybe seen each other for a total of ten minutes. Totally unacceptable! It'll be good to get out of town. And spending the weekend with a good friend...

No comments: