Friday, January 23, 2009

The weekend approacheth...

Well, I'm far less apprehensive about tonight's gig than I've been over the week or so. We had a pretty good rehearsal last night and brushed up on some things. We won't be as horn intensive throughout the night as we used to be...just no time to get those things put together. It's one thing to run through a song with just the rhythm section--run a verse and chorus, and maybe any "weird" sections, and call it good. As soon as you add the horns, everyone has to be on the same page regarding entrances, and stepping all over each other. In any case, I don't think we'll be embarrassing ourselves, by any means! All is looking good at this point. Other than the ear infection I think I'm getting...
Between a late Wednesday night (I wonder why?), and an intense, long rehearsal, I was out like a light when I hit the bed. So much so, that I slept right through my alarms. My phone rang when Rachel called me, just to give me shit. I complained that she was calling me so early in the morning. I had no idea it was as late as it was, and I probably would have been late to work if she hadn't. She forced me to commit to coming up to visit her in March, before I'm allowed to run all over the country again. So she got that out of me...
First thing tomorrow morning is the official start of my symphony week. It actually starts tonight, but I've got a gig! I get to run down to Bozeman on Sunday to pick up a concert grand marimba from the university. It'll give me a chance to take my niece out to lunch, too! Then all next week I'll be schlepping the thing from here to there (a couple of different places), as well as dealing with rehearsals and performance on Saturday. And we all know how I just love symphony week!
On a related note...I just received my music for our March concert. Bernstein's "Fancy Free" and "Symphonic Dances" (from West Side Story). Holy shit. Without question, some of the most difficult music we've ever done. Both as a group, and as an individual. The music from WSS is far more than what accompanies the musical. It's going to be exciting, but I'm going to have to work my ass off. Which isn't a bad thing! I've been watching YouTube videos of Bernstein conducting the "Dances", just to see how complex it is. I just LOVE reading the comments below the videos. "We played it better than this..." "My high school orchestra sounded better than this..." "Our director conducts better than this guy..." Leonard Bernstein, conducting his own composition, with the Israel Philharmonic. Yeah. Right, kid...
A reminder to all that you don't need to wait for me to ask to be the Mystery Guest. I'm always looking for MGs, so don't be shy! Just email me and ask!

No comments: