Friday, August 08, 2008

Thoughts from the Opening Ceremonies

I'm not one who is hugely awed by the Olympics, but will do my share of watching bits and pieces of it, and I am all for the pomp and pageantry involved with the opening and closing ceremonies. Always have been. Some thoughts...
  • It was humbling to me as an American to watch the artistry and perfection prior to the parade of athletes. I have no doubt in my mind that there is NO WAY that a U.S. ceremony could possibly match it. Don't believe me? Have you seen the crap that comes on at halftime during any of the bowl games or Super Bowl? The absolute precision (those circles!), the lack of egos, the production--while having literally an unlimited budget always allows the arts to come out, you'll never see it in the U.S. Just another sign that we're not quite as hot as we think we are...
  • Did you catch the fireworks right after the artistic part that burst into smiley faces?
  • Is there anything cuter than a young Chinese girl?
  • Bob Costas is an ass.
  • Did you choke up a little with the story of that little boy that walked around with Yao Ming?
  • Too many commercials, but I still love that Budweiser commercial with Hank, the Clydesdale! Isn't that your commercial, Mina?
  • And how cool was that torch lighting?
Can you imagine the poor schmuck who's going to have to try to top that in London in 4 years???

No comments: