Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Phallic Symbols

I missed the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" from a few years ago. Oh, I watched the halftime, and I saw the "incident", but didn't even realize it. Once I heard about it, I chalked it up to the fact that I was at a party, I'd been drinking beer, it was noisy, and I wasn't really paying attention because it was SUCH a piss-poor halftime show. But I was one of the zillions who googled it to see what I missed. Obviously, I was quite disappointed.


Fast forward to this past weekend. No party, no beer, no noise, and it was a kick-ass show. I guess I missed it again. Apparently, there are those who are claiming that Prince's use of the translucent sheet enhanced the image of his guitar, which was purposely used as a phallic symbol. My first response would have to be, "Duh..." This is Prince we're talking about. Does anyone honestly believe that he did anything different for this show than he has for any other show??? My second response would be "Get a life." Yes, the game was fairly bland (after the first quarter). Yes, the suspense of who would be MVP was lacking (King Peyton was crowned before he even stepped on the field). But to complain about this?? Give me a break! I'm guessing that even if he used a regularly shaped guitar, he'd be accused of this, like hundreds of other guitarists have been!

But I did find a great quote in all of this. "If people want to be hypersensitive, they can be hypersensitive," says Rolling Stone's Gavin Edwards. "Those trombones are phallic, too. What are you going to do?" I don't think I've ever been so moved....

No comments: