Thursday, July 17, 2008

Superman HNT

Since I said I'd title my posts by the music we're playing this weekend, please don't make me try to live up to that in my HNT!

Though, there's times with the symphony where I feel like I am Superman. No, I'm not faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I'm more like faster than my equipment truck, more powerful than the little kid that sometimes helps, and can almost leap the gap between a loading dock and that same equipment truck. I actually like working by myself loading the truck. Before a concert, I do it on my own terms and own time (as long as I think about it ahead of time). It gives me a chance to visually inspect the equipment and make repairs, if necessary. And keep a running inventory of what we've got. After a concert, though, it's a bugger. After a full weekend of rehearsals and a performance, I'd much rather go have a cold beer than load equipment. But if I have help, it's not too bad. And this weekend, I'm going to have all sorts of help (yay!!!).

Because of the music we're playing, we have a larger-than-normal orchestra, which has stretched our equipment. I'm having to repair some of our defective music stands. All you former band geeks out there are familiar with what I'm talking about. Tipping the stand upside down, grabbing the greasy bolt, and twisting the legs to tighten it all. Can you sense my excitement?? Figured this would be about as half-nekkid as I was going to be this week...


Morning Blues Again
-Chicago III

So when you wake up this morning
And those blues are hangin round, yeah
Just listen baby
And I'll tell you what to do
I just may join you, neath your bed
And turn on your electric friend
Woah, and send those thoughts to me
cause you know where Ill be
And then you can join me
In my hour in the shower
Join me in my hour in the shower

Not to hard to figure this one out, especially if you were at her site. This week's MG is ISmile2Much! Stop by and see the rest of her shower pics!


"...the Other HNT" is still attracting lots of hits, and the comments are starting to build up, finally! Be sure to stop by and check out your fellow HNTers! NSFW, as always.
Surprising (to me anyway) is that many of you missed the link awhile back to our guest narrator for this concert. We will have Dr. Buzz Aldrin, retired astronaut, and the 2nd person to set foot on the moon, narrating during The Planets. While a good chunk of you were not yet born when he walked on the lunar surface, those of us who DO remember the event will also remember that the entire astronaut corps were international heroes. With Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong and Michael Collins as the most heroic of them all. Even today, Dr. Aldrin is still heavily involved with space. He's a strong advocate of space tourism, and owns a design patent for a permanent lunar settlement. He was a scuba diver long before he became an astronaut, and was a member of the second team of divers to reach the "Titanic", making him the only person to fly as far away from the Earth as he has, and to dive 2.5 miles below its surface!

Space flight has unfortunately become rather boring or passé for alot of the public these days. Personally, I find that a shame. Today's generations don't recognize the bravery of facing complete unknowns in that first lunar landing. Lifting off from the surface was certainly not guaranteed! Dr. Aldrin has done his share to keep space travel on people's minds. And across the younger generations, as well. The inspiration for Buzz Lightyear from "Toy Story"? Buzz Aldrin. The moonman statuette given at MTV's movie awards? Buzz Aldrin. Personally, this might be the greatest man I'll ever have the chance to meet (other than Dad...).

The second half of the concert will start with the theme to "Superman", written by John Williams (in fact, ALL of the music of the second half is written by Williams). The true Superman for HNT this week is not me (!), but Dr. Buzz Aldrin. Astronaut, visionary, explorer, hero, legend.

No comments: