Thursday, April 09, 2009

End of Lent HNT!

All I Need to Know About Life I Learned from the Easter Bunny
  • Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.
  • Walk softly and carry a big carrot.
  • Everyone needs a friend who is all ears.
  • There's no such thing as too much candy.
  • All work and no play can make you a basket case.
  • A cute little tail attracts a lot of attention.
  • Everyone is entitled to a bad hare day.
  • Let happy thoughts multiply like rabbits.
  • Some body parts should be floppy.
  • Keep your paws off other people's jellybeans.
  • The grass is always greener in someone else's basket.
  • An Easter bonnet can tame even the wildest hare.
  • To show your true colors you have to come out of your shell.
  • The best things in life are still sweet and gooey.
It's that time of spring when the candy comes out. Possibly rivaling the candy output of Halloween! But I'm not here to extol the virtues of all of it. Cadbury's Eggs? How can you not like them? Chocolaty and creamy goodness. Or caramel. I'll admit to having had a few so far (wish I could have found the orange ones this year found some!).

Jellybeans. How can you go wrong there? Until they came out with the black licorice flavored ones, you couldn't! Now, with Jelly Bellies, you sometimes have to exercise some caution with what flavors you mix (as well as the bizarre specialty flavors they've been known to concoct). But in general, you're safe.

Chocolate bunnies? Hit and miss, depending on the chocolate. But who hasn't enjoyed the pleasure of biting off those ears, and smiling with bits of chocolate dripping from the corners of their mouth? I don't know who decided to make chocolate bunnies filled with marshmallow, but that brings me to the grossest abomination known to the candy industry.

Peeps. Those sugar-coated, marshmallow "treats" that can be found year-round, depending on the holiday season, but seem to go into overdrive at Eastertime. Bunnies, chicks, purple, blue, yellow, the dreaded hot pink... It's enough to drive one mad!

And apparently many others. There's dozens upon dozens of "Peeps" sites, many of which are dedicated to the destruction (if that's even possible) of these horrible confections. One particularly good one called "BUNNYOCALYPSE" actually has 26 episodes of different forms of Peeple destruction. Complete with pictures and videos, in most cases! Youtube is sprinkled with a variety of "Peeps in the Microwave" videos.

It is in this spirit that I present my HNT this week. Don't try to defend your love of Peeps. They'll fall on deaf ears. As will any protestations of my nuking of these Peeps. I'm happy and proud to say that many Peeps were destroyed and/or abused during this particular photo session!

Happy Easter, y'all!

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.

Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.
"Happy Trails" - Dale Evans

OK, this one is a bittersweet MG. Due to a real life situation raising its ugly head, she's had to shut down, but not before leaving a farewell post. Stop by and leave her some lovin'!
"...the Other HNT" starts off its 4th year this week, with its usual assortment of NSFW images from your fellow HNTers. Many thanks to all those who helped celebrate last week! As always, everyone is invited to submit! Or just stop by to take a look around (leave some comment lovin', too!).
I haven't discussed what I gave up for Lent, or why, or why I bother, or get into all that good Catholic discussion that many others can do so much better than I. It's fairly well known that I consider myself a Catholic, though my church-going attendance is few and far between. Yet I always try to give up something for Lent, and I don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent. Some things are just ingrained. So what have I given up? Diet Coke w/Lime. Actually, any sort of carbonated drink (which technically doesn't include beer. whew!). And I've done extremely well thank you. But when I roll out of bed this Sunday, the first thing I'll be doing is hitting the fridge (well, second thing--I'm sure I'll pee first...), and sucking down my DCw/L. And savoring every drop of it. Am I going a little nutso without it for almost 40 days? Of course! Did you see my HNT???
Dad update - Got a phone call from Mom tonight. I was expecting her to tell me they were home, but no, that would be too easy. Apparently his surgeon went into overtime with a patient today and didn't get out until about 5PM. So he's keeping him one more night and releasing him in the morning. Which is good, because the little vacuum thingy the installed to continue sucking out any infection started to beep this afternoon. Not that big of a deal, apparently, but they would have royally freaked if it happened on the road! Speaking of beeping, I asked about zapping the pacemaker. They couldn't do that at this time, so he's got another appointment (already pre-scheduled) on the 21st to take care of that. Apparently he's got 6-7 weeks left in it, so he should be OK! And finally, apparently the weekend festivities are still on. As Mom said, one way or the other... Thanks for all the concern and comments!

No comments: