Monday, March 21, 2005

The Baton

I totally missed the passing of the baton. T passed the following along to me awhile back and I didn't even know it! Hope she doesn't hold it against me! This is one of those "get to know your blogger" things--music is the subject. I fully doubt that many of you will recognize many of the titles, but if you're desperate to know what they sound like, let me know and I'll get you a file.

1. Total amount of music files on your computer
    487 files. All genres--classical, rock, jazz, country. No rap though!
2. The last CD purchased
    "The Story of My Life" - Deana Carter
3. The last song listened to before reading this post
    "Patrick Meets the Brickbats" - Jerry Douglas (the dobro player featured with Alison Krauss + Union Station)
4. 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you
    OK, this one takes some effort. Most of these will be important because of how they have affected my future impressions of music, not because they were "our songs" from some ill-fated junior high romance. In no particular order:

    • "Amie" - Pure Prairie League. One of my earliest "favorite" songs. Great acoustic sound, fantastic harmonies. Also helped with my relationships that I had with a couple of different "Amy"s.
    • "Finale" from The Firebird Suite by Stravinsky - Tomita. First time I heard this was on a live YES album (Yessongs). They used it as the pre-concert music as they come on stage. This hit me for two reasons. One, Tomita made his mark by taking classical music and performing them with a wide array of synthesizers. Very groundbreaking in the day. And I was fascinated by that stuff. Secondly, the music is spectacular--the harmonic structure, the change of meter, the magnificent grandeur of the piece. It was the first piece of classical music that absolutely reached out and grabbed me and made me go out and purchase my first orchestral LP. I've had the pleasure of performing this piece of music a couple of times, and it's still as magical now as it was then!
    • "Down To the Nightclub" - Tower of Power. My first exposure to real funk music. Never had I heard a horn section so tight. Honkin' bari sax, screamin' trumpets, and the incredible pairing of David Garibaldi on drums and Rocco Prestia (who would look more at home with Jimmy Buffet!) on bass. There is no one who can lay down a funk beat like those two!
    • "Clea" - Matrix IX. Matrix IX (later, just Matrix) was a jazz fusion band (for lack of a better term) from Wisconsin, I believe. Six horns, big rhythm section--many of their members are currently well-respected educators at various universities. They were very big on the college jazz tour circuit in the late 70s. Their fusion was more like jazz/classical/rock. This song is one of the most gorgeous songs I've ever heard. No real lyrics--just some wonderful sounds. I actually arranged this for orchestra, which worked very nicely, but doesn't live up to the original. Unfortunately, none of the old Matrix albums are available on CD, but I just won this particular LP on eBay in mint condition, so the digitizing will have to begin soon!
    • "Clair de Lune" by Debussy. Originally written for piano, it's been rewritten for full orchestra by a couple of people. I've always liked the music, but I heard an orchestral version used in the movie "The Right Stuff" during the scenes between the fan dancer in Texas and the shots of Chuck Yeager flying, and I was hooked. The climax of the piece will give you chills (like a good climax should....).

    Just for good measure, and without explanation, here are five more "favorite songs":
    • "I Wanna Be Like You" - from the Disney movie The Jungle Book
    • "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana by Orff
    • "Moonlight Serenade" - Glenn Miller Band
    • "Choose Something Like A Star" from Frostiana by Randall Thompson
    • "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor" - Chuck Mangione

Sorry this was a long one! I now pass the baton on to Lizabeth, Rachel, Kamey, Nicolle, Julie & Kim (but only if you haven't done it already--can't remember who else's I've seen!).

No comments: