Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Recap, Boobquake, R.I.P., Spring and My Hip Mom

Well, I suppose an opera recap is due, since I've pretty much been away for the past 10 days or so...

All in all, the production came off swimmingly. But not without much tension and anxiety. Which is generally the norm. The only major glitch was with the subtitles (the English text was projected on a screen above the singers). We made a Powerpoint slideshow with over 1300 slides. About halfway through the second act, the woman who was running the slideshow must have slipped on a button or something, because instead of dialogue, we got the Powerpoint edit page. The woman was oblivious to this until another staff person came to help out. All in all, there was a five minute gap in the subtitles. It was all a bit Keystone Kops-ish. But those onstage continued on without knowing what had happened, and nothing important to the plot was missed, so all was good.

A long 10 days, and quite exhausting, but well worth the effort. Next year we'll do "Madame Butterfly"!
I was too busy to promote it, but I'm sure that most of you heard about "Boobquake" that happened yesterday. The first thing I'd heard about it was on Rush Limbaugh, of all places! Then it showed up amongst the Facebook crowd. If you're interested in finding out the results of the great experiment, you can find them here, from the woman who came up with the idea!
I just read that Sony will discontinue the production of the floppy disc. I'm sure that many of you have never had the enjoyment of having to sit at your computer, waiting to switch floppys just to load a little 3MB application. Or needing to use a handful of floppys to store your meager photo collection. Or using floppys as currency. R.I.P., oh mighty discs. Good thing I have a USB floppy drive!
Among the many things I missed over the past week and a half was the arrival of Spring in Montana. Many of the trees are blooming and most of the lawns are at least beginning to turn green. All just in time for the snow & rain that's expected tonight through the weekend...
I don't think I shared this on my birthday, but the following is the exact text (including the lack of capitalization) I received from my mom that morning:
happy bday luv u m n d
My mom is so hip...
I've gotten some interesting questions over there in the formspring box. Feel free to ask anything. Anonymously, even!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you survived the opera! and glad you got to witness spring just intime for it to all go kaput. *lol* i remember that well from my childhood. we'd get a chinook and then winter would return and all the new leaves turned black and yucky. *sigh*

and are we discussing 5.25" floppies or 3.5" floppies? i have disks that need to be transferred...if they haven't corrupted. *sigh* i remember having to boot the computer with a floppy. :D

Chapter Two said...

I participated in boobquake! Had them out there! I did I did - in front of people as I took their pics while following the t.v. lady funny!

Ms Scarlett said...

Glad all went well!

RIP to the floppy disk... sigh... say hi to the 8-track decks wouldja?

Your mom's text made me giggle....

Osbasso said...

Tepid--I think this was the 3.5" ones. Not sure that the bigger ones have been available for at least a decade!

BFD--Somehow this doesn't surprise me in the least! ;-)

MsS--Yeah...Mom certainly has her moments!