Thursday, March 05, 2009

A Return HNT

I don't think that my HNT this week will generate the same reactions as last week's smoking/non-smoking one!

In a prior life (pre-blogging), I used to do some part-time teaching at Carroll College here. Nice, small, Catholic school with a great reputation. And a terrific football team over the past 8 years. The basketball team has made it to the national tournament for the past couple of years, too. I used to teach a little music theory, and I resurrected a small pep band for football and basketball games. In fact, that's how I came to know Moose! Anyway, after over 10 years of doing that, I left for a couple of reasons. Interestingly, since leaving, I really haven't had much to do with Carroll. Other than follow the football team.

There have been 3 people who have been leading the band since I left. All former students of mine from the band who have graduated. The current one is a trumpet player who has been doing it for 2 years. She's actually been much more 'into' it than I was. Where I was involved in finding new music, and writing and polishing it, she has actually raised some money during her tenure and bought some much-needed equipment, etc. She texted me over the weekend and asked if I'd be willing to sit in to play bass with the band during their last game of the year (playoffs, ya know). It will be only the second time I'll have actually heard the band since leaving. I know most of the music will be the same, but there's some new stuff, I'm sure. So Thursday night, I'll be sightreading some charts, and playing Betsy, my bass (for newbies--yes, I name my musical instruments). It's been too long. I'll be dressed a little more than I am here, though...


"The basic Female body comes with the following accessories: garter belt, panti-girdle, crinoline, camisole, bustle, brassiere, stomacher, chemise, virgin zone, spike heels, nose ring, veil, kid gloves, fishnet stockings, fichu, bandeau, Merry Widow, weepers, chokers, barrettes, bangles, beads, lorgnette, feather boa, basic black, compact, Lycra stretch one-piece with modesty panel, designer peignoir, flannel nightie, lace teddy, bed, head."
~~Margaret Atwood
This week's Mystery Guest is working on that list...
Come back Thursday afternoon to find out who she is!

Our nicely accessorized MG is M from "Rumblings and Bumblings"! She's gone private for right now, but email her for an invite if you need one. If you're already in, be sure to stop by and say hi!

"...the Other HNT" is a little more NSFW this week, but not too terribly bad. Come check out your fellow HNTers, if you dare! (then let us know you visited!)
My complaints with Haloscan are well documented here (and by many of you!). Less problematic has been Blogrolling.com, though they've basically been functionally unavailable for months after they were hacked. Rather than come back with just patched bugs, they've completely rebuilt things from scratch. They've brought things back online this week, though there's still a glitch or two. If you check out my blogroll in my sidebar, you'll see a new look. No longer alphabetical, but apparently listed in the order that they were added. Which is certainly a revelation! Ignoring the fact that I have to look for specific links, I've found that there are dozens of sites that I haven't visited literally in years! Case in point...a woman in her late 40s who did HNT. She was suffering from a rare, but rapidly fatal case of brain cancer. She quit HNT in May 2007, and her regular blog's last entry was late July 2007. Makes one wonder if her family knew about either blog. It's an interesting history of the development and participation in HNT. There's 611 links under the HNT roll. If I hadn't cleaned up many dead links about a year ago, it would be closer to 900. The top links are those who got things going around here. Most of whom you wouldn't recognize. But there's a few that you might! And there's alot of old friends up there that I need to go back and reconnect with. I do hope that they fix the alphabetical part soon though...

No comments: