Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's getting better!

In reading back through the archives, I noticed a trend regarding my posts about the symphony. For seven years, I've often bitched and moaned about dealing with personnel, or the amount of time the production end was taking. But over the past year or so, I've noticed that I'm not doing it as much. The personnel will always be a thorn, but not my thorn anymore, so that's out of the mix. And the production stuff has been running incredibly smoothly as of late. That's not to say that I don't keep overly busy, or that there's not a lot of work that needs to be done. But I've either grown to accept the hassles, or the hassles aren't really there anymore. In either case, I'm not complaining!

The other thing I've noticed is that I haven't complained after a concert about how badly it went. Our concerts of late have been nothing short of spectacular. A strong adjective, but we've really been hitting on all cylinders over the past few years. This past Saturday's was no exception. Our cello soloist played what is arguably the most difficult concerto written for the instrument by Prokofiev, and he had the entire audience up on their feet in applause before he could stand and take his bows. He then took the podium after intermission to conduct the next piece, Tchaikovsky's Cappricio Italien, which ends like a bat out of hell. Again, a standing ovation. Our final piece of the evening was Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, which is one of the greatest pieces written in the 20th century. Another long standing ovation.

It's times like this when I really, really like what I do!
Fortunately, I was stuck inside most of the weekend, as Spring took a vacation. A skiff of snow, cool temps, and lots of wind made for a miserable weekend weatherwise. Hopefully we're getting to see the end of that!
I don't know exactly what happens on/around June 26th, but I had FIVE birthday notifications on FB yesterday! And another TWO friends that aren't on FB. Something's in the air in June!
The response has been interesting to my announcement last week that OHNT is ending shortly. I've gotten a couple of emails from lurkers I've never heard of, lamenting its end. Not one of these people has ever left a comment, yet are hoping I'll change my mind. On the other hand, I suppose it's nice to know that there's a "regular" audience over there! Regardless, there's only TWO more OHNTs left. Feel free to join in if you'd like!
Even though I'm a day late, here's your weekly dose of Pomplamoose! An interesting version of "My Favorite Things". Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Glad your concert life is more fun. It can be a drag when it seems like the sky is always falling.
It's still windy here... I hate the wind.