Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Solstice 2011 HNT

The change in the weather around here has been incredible. May and June were cold and wet. Lots of flooding. Not much sunshine. Too many gray days, both meteorologically and psychologically. But as of yesterday, that has all changed.

I’m currently sitting in a city park, stealing wi-fi from somebody. It’s 81° with a slight breeze, and it's going to get warmer. There’s only a couple of small harmless clouds in the sky. I’ve got two squirrels sneaking up on me, hoping I’ve got something to feed them. With plenty more around playing tag. There’s a group of kids from a nearby daycare who have just arrived with their…(I’m drawing a blank as to what you’d call these girls—babysitters?). The tennis courts across the street are full. Mostly kids just screwing around, but there appears to be an intense battle between a husband and wife. Ooh, look! A bug on my screen!

Up the hill comes the parking police in his hunter orange vest. Other than being outside, walking the entire downtown area all day, I don’t think I could do that job. Fortunately he’s turned down the street towards the tennis courts. I’ll have to keep an eye on him. You guessed it—I’m illegally parked.

It’s a grand and glorious summer day in Montana. Not too hot, even by Montana standards. It’s green all over. Good thing I don’t really suffer from allergies! The sky is amazingly clear. I can see the mountains that form a wall on the north side of the valley. Thirty miles away, and yet they look like you could just reach out and touch them. I’ll have to make a trip out there soon.

Sadly, I rarely take the time to kick back and absorb days like this like I am today. Maybe I was compelled to do it after reading Britni’s post about her lazy day in Boston last week. A carefree, relaxing day which she dearly needed. I’ve never lived in a big city where one has definite places that are carved out of the urban jungle for just sitting back and unwinding. Around here, that’s pretty much everywhere. Perhaps I’ll force myself to do this at least one afternoon a week. Maybe hitting a different park each week. Maybe do some arrangements for the soul band while I’m at it. Or even, Lord help us, practice my horn! All in all (despite the bad year last year, the lack of any real money, no love life, a chronic disease, and the fact I just dumped a swig of Diet Coke down the front of my shirt), life is pretty good. It’s a good thing I don’t complain much!

Yesterday was the first day of summer. It looks like it’s going to turn out pretty nicely after all! Every year I force myself to get up before sunrise (which officially was at 5:34 AM yesterday) and take a picture of me and the sunrise. This year was no exception. Click on the pic to see what the first day of winter 2010 looked like at sunrise!


And for shits and giggles, sunrises from prior years too! Gotta run—I see a hunter orange vest headed back my way…


2010 & 2009
(I apparently don't change my "crack o' dawn" look much, do I?)

No Mystery Guest this week, and you know what? I’m OK with that. For today. Don’t let it happen next week though, OK?
Summer always brings out the best for “…the Other HNT” too! Stop by and check them out. Leave some comments. Support your fellow HNT buddies! NSFW, as usual…

37 comments:

Libidinous Man said...

Another week another HNT here. We had fun making it, I hope you enjoy looking at it.

Elle said...

You look much happier in your summer pictures and I don't blame you one bit. Weather's been nice here too these last few days and it's made me feel much better.

I'm up!

Chapter Two said...

Rained all day on our solstice- figures

I am up...and down by the river.

Mr. Smith said...

Too funny! Yes summer is here! Lets hit the beach!!

Were up!

Vixen said...

I'm LOL that all the pics you have the same expression...hehe

I'm up!

xo

JM said...

Well its winter down under, so no going outside without a shirt for me!

I'm UP in black and white, as the architect of my existence.

JM

Emmy said...

Yay summer!! Our weather has changed as well. Kinda hoping it sticks around a bit! Great crack of dawn look! :)

I'm up!
Happy HNT!
~Emmy

M said...

Why is it that it's always nice and sunny on workdays and shitty when I'm off ;)

I'm up! (and in dire need of a tan)

Anonymous said...

I like a nice summer day. Thanks for sharing yours.

I'm up.

KaziG said...

Gorgeous sunrises!! :)

I'm up before the sun usually, get to watch it come over the horizon as I'm driving towards Boston, beautiful (if annoying when it hits just right on the windscreen LOL)

I'm up at http://ellidragon.blogspot.com/2011/06/hnt-passion-of-darkness.html

eyas said...

Hi, Os
Wow! You bring new depths to the stoic expression approach to life. I'll go with the words and not the picture, and assume that you're happy it's summer.

I am up, too.

Shibari Reiss said...

You are so friggin cute :)

I am up !

SapioSlut said...

I'm up and wrapped like meat...

Happy HNT!

Anonymous said...

Love summer and a great sunrise or sunset..
I'm up ;)

Silly Mistress : ) said...

Looks like a nice sunset ^_^

Unknown said...

http://angelicfantasies4you.blogspot.com/2011/06/hnt-rain-dance.html

I am up hun and I love your sunrises..

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Loving the skies!

heelsnstocking said...

I'm sat at the beach just back from 2 days of mischief and mayhem with lover. Shame the weather isn't as good over here :(

Im up x happy HNT x
Heelsnstocking 

Cheeky Minx said...

How I envy your summer... I adore your shot and your priceless expression.

I'm up!
xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm up. And thanks to the rope, I'm not nekkid!

Merry HNThursday.

sev xx

Anonymous said...

I am up enjoying the summer sun too.

Maggie said...

Yes, get outside and enjoy it when you have nice weather! I wish we had more days like that, it's usually downright miserable to be outside here.

Hubman said...

I'm ready for summer, and I'm more than ready to have the time to enjoy it!

I'm playing this week, for the first time in months. Sure would be nice to be welcomed back with comments :-)

http://hubmanshangout.com/2011/06/23/hnt-both-hands/

Anonymous said...

Another selection on random HNTness from me... I'm Up!

Anonymous said...

You know they do say that sometimes the most wonderfuls things happen as the result of a series of unfortunate events...

Beautiful sunrise!!

I'm up! Happy HNT everyone! :)~viemoira

Joanna Cake said...

Hurrah for the sun at last! It's trying to shine here too - and since it's Glastonbury weekend that will spoil our fun watching everyone in the mud in their wellies on the News :)

Im up with something interesting about female sexuality xx

SB said...

I would love to have some type of summer just not 120 degree summer. That first picture is really cool!! The winter one was funny

I am up at nothingbettertodoreal.blogspot.com

BTExpress said...

The last time I was up to see a sunrise, was 5 years ago and just getting home from a date.

I'm up with another flash back pic and some info I'd like to share.

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures Os! :) Happy HNT!

We are up! come by and check it out!

http://darkside-journey.blogspot.com/

Hugs,
padme

Gucci Mama said...

Up!

Mike and Amber said...

We're up again this week!

http://shelikesitrough.blogspot.com/2011/06/hnt-28.html

Osbasso said...

Hypersexual Girl is still out of the country, but was good enough to schedule her HNTs! Go see!

http://hypersexualgirl.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I have to say I prefer the summer shots to winter brrr. Amazing how you can feel the heat or cold from the images.

MrM said...

It's late, but I'm up. Decided to keep it Simple

Lusting Lola! said...

Sounds like a perfect start to summer! It was cold and rainy here on Tuesday, and well, yesterday and today, too. Booo!!!!

I've missed HNT the past few weeks, but I'm actually up this week. Better late than never, right? ;)

SandRubye said...

My first HNT today! Yeah, a virgin, sorta!

The Temptress said...

Better late than never. :) http://www.archetypeofthetemptress.com/2011/06/hnt-garter.html