Thursday, June 16, 2011

Meet the Family HNT

It's been an unexpectedly somber week or two around the land of Os. Three things that are to blame--the anniversary of BIL2's death, my dad's birthday today (Wed.), and Father's Day this weekend. Add in the gray skies and rain, and gloomy would be the best description of things.

Among the reminiscing about Ray and Dad this past week, Mom broached the subject of my will. Rather, my need for a will. Now, I'll be the first to say that I don't have much that I have to worry about in that regard. No property, no secret savings accounts, no kids to divvy up. A few hard drives that will need to be destroyed (or sold at a special HNT auction...), thousands of CDs and LPs that will have to go somewhere, as well as all the musical instruments I have scattered about. Some that should be scrapped; some that should be sold. But I suppose that a will would be a good thing to get taken care of.

I also took the time this week to head back to the cemetery. It's one of many in town, but one of the two largest. It's a Catholic cemetery, where the priests and nuns are buried, but I'm not sure if one has to be Catholic to be buried there. All this will be talked about in a later post, but I wanted you to meet my relatives who reside there now (if any of this helps you with internet stalking me, have at it!).

(Click 'em to big 'em!)

First off, my great-grandparents. The O'Hearns. My mother's maternal grandparents. While they died before I was 14, I have definite memories of both of them, particularly her. I don't know where any of my other great-grandparents are buried. I know I met Mom's paternal grandfather once (his wife died a few years before Mom was born), but I was pretty young. I never met either set of my dad's grandparents. They were all were dead long before I was around. I suspect I might have one, possibly two sets of great-great-grandparents buried here, but I'll need to do some investigation...


Next, my grandparents. The Kalls and the Retzes. Both of the Kalls died within a year of each other, as well as Grandma O'Hearn. Not a good year for the family. My maternal grandfather was cremated and had his ashes spread, so there's no gravestone (which I find a tad odd for a funeral director--or maybe not). My grandmother and a brother are buried in the same plot as their parents, and her sister is buried nearby with her husband (who happened to be the first one-armed man to break into minor league baseball!). One other brother is spending eternity in Seattle.


Finally, the most recent tenants--my dad and Ray. Dad's cremains are resting in a columbarium, also somewhat nearby. Mom will be placed there when the time comes. And they already know most of their fellow "neighbors". It's good to know who you'll be placed next to during eternity. Interestingly, three of the other names in the columbarium picture are the parents of high school classmates. Lastly, Ray's gravestone. The only one that's not flush to the ground. I'll admit, the first time I saw my sister's name on the stone, it was a bit unnerving. I don't know if S3's family has made any plans yet, nor S1's family. I know I haven't. It's probably one of those "responsible" things I need to work on. Like a will (see how I can bring it all full circle?).

Anyway, a different sort of half-nekkid for you this week. I'll do another cemetery post in the near future (I do love cemeteries, and I do love history!).
Sorry--no Mystery Guest this week. If you're interested, in being the MG, just ask!

At the last minute, a particular former HNTer who happens to be celebrating her birthday tonight stepped up to the plate! Gotta love someone who is proud to wear her Muppet Babies t-shirt for the MG shot! (Or is this Fraggle Rock? I really grew up too late to know the subtleties involved...)

She'll be revealed Thursday afternoon, but for some of you, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out!
For those who don't know, our birthday girl MG is the freakin'ly awesome Ashly Star. Stop by to say hi!


Lots of nekkidness over at "...the Other HNT", as usual! NSFW, but stop by (I know you do!) and leave some comments!

41 comments:

SapioSlut said...

I'm up and showing off my slutwear...

Happy HNT!

Chapter Two said...

Hey there - I too love cemeteries even after I had reasons not to like them. I figure you can fear them or not. I go for not.

i am pretty sure I know the MG.

I too am up with a last minute HNT - I was thinking it was Tuesday night (that is what happens when you come back from vaca)

V said...

We’re up! This week, we’re experimenting with a little three-way play!

Elle said...

Ack, I would hate to have a tombstone all ready for me... Sounds grim ;) My mom told me that when I was 5 or 6 and we were walking around in a cemetery for some reason, I pointed out a tombstone and told her if I died I wanted one like that. Scared her to death :P

Alright, I'm up!

Osbasso said...

Autumn went to bed early, sulking over the Canuck's loss, but she's back for HNT, along with an update!

http://autumnmistspeaks.blogspot.com/

Vixen said...

I know that MG!

I'm up...

xo

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KaziG said...

I've not been to my grandparents' graves in some time... and the kids have never been. I should take them, soon...

I'm up... http://ellidragon.blogspot.com/2011/06/ww-hnt-night-creature.html

Happy HNT!

Gucci Mama said...

Up!

Anonymous said...

I know it's being prepared; but I'm not sure that I want to have everything so carefully prearranged.

I'm sorry that the Canucks lost. (But as an Ohioan, I am very happy that LeChoke and the Heat lost.)

We are up at Married in Ohio with a tan lines post.

Anonymous said...

Somber week or two for sure, but I enjoyed the pics and the stories. Thanks for sharing.

I love the MG's shirt. Fraggle Rock is still a lot of fun to watch. In fact, I'm watching it now on Netflix as a result of seeing the shirt.

My HNT is up. Another one from the locker room.

Silly Mistress : ) said...

I know people mean well with cemeteries, but.... +shivers+

After my recent visit to one (and dealing with a few deaths lately), I haven't able to deal with them very well. x_x

Cheeky Minx said...

This is such a beautiful post. It reminded me of my younger days living in a little flat across the road from a cemetery on the edge of the sea. It's one of the most stunning places in this city.

And the MG's shirt is too cool.

I'm up.
xxx

JM said...

Something we must all face at some point in time, yet something most of us seem to put off. Your post certainly conjures up many thoughts and memories Os.

I'm UP with an offer to join me between the sheets!

Osbasso said...

Emmy's out laying in the sun!

http://rtws.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm Up, after a long break. Happy HNT!

Anonymous said...

I've had a somber couple of days too. I have no idea what if anything there is to say.
Loving the MG's tee and yes I think it's fraggelrock.

I'm up lovebeinggigi.blogspot.com

Happy HNT

Eden said...

Happy HNT, Os & co! I know I've been slacking on HNT for a while, but today I am up and cruisin'.

And to Os, you are right, it is a sombre post but it is really sweet you decided to share something personal to you with all of us. I hope you are feeling OK this week.

Fat Controller said...

We're up and in generous mood! Happy HNT!

severin said...

I am up (well certainly out anyway)!

Are boys allowed?

Faile said...

We're up!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. Hard week for you.
I love history, especially family history.

I up, but I guess you knew that and definitely being taken off :)

Molls said...

I am up.

I love looking at old tombstones!

heelsnstocking said...

Thanks for sharing something so personal and close to your heart.

I'm up Heelsnstocking 


Happy HNT x x

Maggie said...

Great half nekkidness. Thank you for sharing.

I'm up.

Anonymous said...

Interesting HNT- lots of history there...
I'm up at the Cavern.
I know whose BDAY it is- Happy Birthday MG!
That is definitely Fragle Rock- love them!! :D

MrM said...

I'm up! What can I say, I love my behind :)

Anonymous said...

Im up

Mr. Smith said...

Thats quite a family history in just one burial place. Thanks for sharing.

were up

Anonymous said...

definitely a difficult week for you O's. Giving you a big hug. x

Westcoast Weirdo said...

Wow - that IS the cool thing about being buried - the history is 'written'. Makes me rethink :)

I'm up too!

Anonymous said...

Great post Os! my best friend Sunshine and I recently had a long conversation about my lack of will. Its really best to take care of these things but it really can be unnerving...like seeing your sister's name on that stone. So many somber thoughts for you and yours this week. I can understand your feelings so well, coming from a relatively small family with many lost to Cancer and other things. *sighs*

Like Vixen, I also had no trouble identifying the MG. She is gorgeous, totally cool and I'm hoping she had a fabulous birthday!

Thanks for 'upping' me last night. I really was sulking over that hockey loss a little bit but I will get over it. :)

I hate commenting from my blueberry. I never quite know if its going to appear the right way haha.

xoxo
loves autumn

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Love the muppets.

BTExpress said...

Thanks to Ancestry.com, I've been able to trace my roots on my mother's side back to the late 1700's. My father's side is much more difficult, but I'll keep trying.

Lori and I are up with a short video of us in last weeks 5K walk. See if you can spot us.

Joanna Cake said...

I love going through your family tree. I should really do mine - just wish I had more time as usual.

Im up with an unusual accessory. HHNT x

Ashly Star said...

No surprise your post got me a bit emotional. *hugs*

Also, that's totally Fraggle Rock. :)

Happy Thursday!

SB said...

The man and I have talked about getting a will but lack the motivation to get one. I think we will just write on a paper with our signatures lol

I am up http://nothingbettertodoreal.blogspot.com/?zx=2f6bf40b15606c9c

Silas said...

We're up again, and I must say Vivian
is looking amazing today! Stop in and say Hi!

Mike and Amber said...

We're up too! http://shelikesitrough.blogspot.com/2011/06/hnt-27.html

Just Me said...

Happy Thursday Everyone!!

http://hispleasuresandpearls.blogspot.com/2011/06/hnt-do-they-count.html

MinorityReport said...

Great post!