Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Hot Dogs, Graduation, Rain -- Must Be June

I'm currently amused by the sanctimony expressed by conservative talk radio hosts regarding the whole Weinergate thing (I refuse to call it a scandal). Should he resign? I don't think so, though I doubt he'll be re-elected. Did he do anything wrong? Again, I don't think so, as far as the actual picture sharing goes. How many of US are guilty of that? And it's not like he indiscriminately picked someone from his followers list to send them to. Is he guilty of poor judgment? Absolutely! It's a great example of what happens when the wrong head is doing the thinking.

The press is eating it up though. Granted, his name alone provides more fodder for them than they could have prayed for. But they're appalled by what he suggests in his sexting. It's like they've never heard of such a thing! What's happening is no different than what goes on everyday, everywhere, by everyone, and has gone on for decades--in this case it's happening with the current technology.

Back to the sanctimony--"this is a disgusting act"; "he should have resigned immediately"; "think of those unsuspecting young women"; ad nauseum... I don't believe that, out of the current 535 members of Congress, he floats to the top of the indiscretion pool. Possibly not even in the top ten. In the end, he's just a horny guy who did something stupid, got caught, tried to deny it to curb his embarrassment, and then admitted it without dragging it out for months. Might not be the guy you want to represent you in Congress, but then again, perhaps he is the best example of representation of his constituency. And don't let the media try to convince you differently!
As mentioned over the weekend, I went to my youngest niece's graduation on Saturday morning. After weeks of clouds, cool and rain, the weekend was spectacular. And right on cue, the clouds, cool and rain came back on Monday. I did pick up a pretty decent sunburn though. My nose always gets it first, then the rest of my face. This time though, my scalp took the brunt of it. Even after three days, it almost feels like the whole top of my head is bruised or something. And before I get scolded--no, I didn't use any sunscreen!
The constant rain is really beginning to cause problems around here. We finally went into flood emergency mode around here. A bit different than floods in the midwest--we don't have the big ones that that look impressive on the news. Ours are more of the rising water table type. But all that water has to go somewhere, which is the Missouri River around here. Which picks up steam as it heads east, and then connects with the Mississippi River. Which is where the big-time flooding happens. So in essence, it all starts around here. You can thank us later...
Still have my $400 ticket voucher from Delta that I need to use by the first week of August. Anyone desperate to have me come to see them? I still have a plan in mind that I haven't acted on yet. But I could be persuaded to change the plan!
Remember the problems I had with my laptop replacement screen? The place I bought it from didn't appreciate the "neutral" feedback I gave them and offered me $5 for my troubles. I'm not sure if I should be appreciative or offended... On the good news front--it's still working quite nicely! Can't believe the amount of screen that I've been missing out on for all these years!

3 comments:

Amber said...

weinergate? Now I'm curious...

Osbasso said...

Ah, for the non-Americans...Congressman Weiner was caught sending pics of his, umm, weiner to certain Twitter followers, as well as some steamy texts with some FB friends. Wasn't even a nekkid weiner (at least I haven't seen evidence of that).

Moosekahl said...

ME ME ME ME ME!!! Delta flies into Anchorage or Fairbanks!