Sunday, January 10, 2010

Funkytown

Hello internets.

I am SO unmotivated to post anything these days. There's a definite funk in the world of Os these days. Nothing specific, just things. The post-holiday letdown.

This cold that I caught at the beginning of the week is still here. Not as bad as the colds I normally have, but just bad enough to be bothersome. No power coughing...just that constant whimpy cough. It's really the prime cause of funkiness.

It's not the weather. In spite of the cold, it's been fairly sunny, which is always a good thing. And it's supposed to be warming up over the next few days. Hell, it's into the 40s up in Calgary!

Since coming back from Nashville (and I promise to write about that later today!), I've gotten very tired about this whole diabetes thing. I'm sticking to everything I'm supposed to, but for the first time really, I'm getting tired of the routine. The details of what/how much I can eat. The fact that I'm in this for the long haul.

I'm having communication issues with one of my go-to friends. Literally and figuratively. Technology is a wonderful thing, until it doesn't work. Don't like it in the least. Sort of along the same lines...the fact that, as far as meeting friends in Nashville--it was a bust. I'll get to that in my next post, but I came away with a great deal of disappointment. Expectations and all. And unfortunately, there's no one to "blame". But it doesn't diminish the fun I had with the ones that I DID meet up with!

The one thing that really got me to thinking about this funk is what I did for most of the afternoon/night yesterday. If you check the blogrolls in my sidebar, you'll see that I did some major housecleaning. The main blogroll has always been the list of HNTers. Back in the early days, I would add literally every person I was aware of who posted a picture for HNT. That practice ended after about the first year. Even today, I don't link everyone. When I started yesterday, there were 576 names in that list. That's after culling over 400 links about a year ago. Today, there's 249 links.

It was an afternoon of reminiscing and sadness. That list was a record, if you will, of HNT's history. No one made that list that didn't post at least one picture. I'll be the first to admit that there were some links that I hadn't visited in years. An incredible amount of them were "dead" links. Many were "invitation only", which means they were probably shut down. There were a few that were still quite active. But a quick check showed that they hadn't done HNT since 2006 or something like that, so they got deleted. And then then there were a handful that, even though idle for some time, I just couldn't delete.

It was a cleansing day, actually. I spent more time on it than I should have (partially because of the process--Blogrolling doesn't make it excessively easy). I spent time going through archives of old names that none of you, save a small handful, would even recognize. And then wondering whatever happened to these people. Even though there was a huge number of weekly HNTers in those days, there seemed to be a tighter sense of "community" than there is now. Though I know that the cleaning was needed, I can't help but feel a little sad about losing those contacts forever.

So, yeah. I'm in a funk. It happens. I'll snap out of it. I always do. Now it's time to take down the Christmas tree...

7 comments:

boo said...

We all get in a funk sometimes, Os. Pops went through a very similar experience to yours a couple years ago. He was in the hospital for quite awhile, and gave us all a good scare. The aftermath of his illness is much the same as yours, and let me tell you, it may be hard to stick to it, but it's worth it. I've watched him struggle to be "good", and you can always tell when he's not. He's put back most of the weight that came off, he's not taking his meds properly, and if he goesn't get up of his ass and start taking care of himself he's going to lose both his job and his life.

I'd much rather see a healthy Os. It'll take getting used to, for sure, but in no time at all it will all seem second nature.

As for the HNT community, I completely understand your sadness and sense of loss. It was bound to change in unexpected ways, communities have a habit of doing that.

*hugs*

Buck up and feel better soon, Os. Things will seem a little brighter once you get over that cold.

Vicky said...

We all get into a funk every so often and it sucks. I hope you feel better soon. Emotionally and physically.

xo,
Vicky

Lori said...

I remember the old days...
It sure was nice..
((staring off into space))
I miss them.
And your right we all seemed closer then. And then it was gone, one by one...
Sorry for your sadness, now im sad too.

13messages said...

I've been reminiscing a lot lately, thinking of former HNTers and wondering how they are. I hope
the best for you and am glad I know you.

Chickie said...

I'd been in a blog funk for awhile but lately have been having a bit of a blog vomit. It comes and goes.

Hope you get to feeling better!

Summer said...

Mucinex! That is what you need to get over the funky cold you picked up. It wasn't my fault, I swear... I haven't been sick. :)

Anonymous said...

I see one link you couldn't bear to delete :(

When ya coming back to Dallas?!