Friday, February 04, 2011

TV, or not TV? That is the question...

Update on the new TV. As you all remember (of course you do), after seven weeks of my new TV, I decided to step up to digital cable. After dealing with 2 cable boxes and 2 sets of HDMI cables from my cable provider over 2 nights, I still had no sound. And an hour with the nice young man from India at the TV manufacturer's customer service resulted in "expect a call from a service rep within the next two weeks". You guessed it--two weeks have passed, and no call (not that I really expected one). So I took a trip to our local French department store (Targ├ęt).

Their pimply-faced kid in the electronics department said that it's too bad that it's been more than ninety days, or they'd just swap out for a new one. I then politely explained that 90 days wouldn't be up until the end of the month. He then said it's too bad I didn't still have my receipt. "HAHAHA!" said I. Little did he know! So yesterday afternoon, I packed up my defective TV in its original packaging (which is what I had hoped to avoid in the first place), and schlepped it down there.

What happened next absolutely amazed me. They took it back, with no questions asked. I mean, not a single question. For all they knew, I had packed the box with foam rubber. Or I'd taken a shotgun to the screen. Or I'd kept the remote and all the cables. NOT A SINGLE QUESTION! As we waited for someone from the stockroom to bring out a replacement, the girl at customer service slapped a big blue sticker on the side of the box. "ELECTRONICS RECYCLING" All without checking to see if there was actually anything inside. I don't know exactly what happens to it next, but I fear the worst. Actually, I don't really give a damn at all. (Added: Since the same TV currently sells for $20 less than it did on Black Friday, I get a credit! I'm not sure if I should be pissed at that, or happy. Well, I am happy...happier?)

So I get it home, plug in all my cables. Lo and behold! I have digital cable!! I have fought the urge for years to get anything other than expanded cable, because I just don't watch much TV. I think that's all about to change. WWE in high def? Thank you very much! Old movies I haven't seen since the 80s? Give me more! BBC America? Bring it! More music channels than I know what to do with? Well...probably won't spend much time there.

I'm still figuring out exactly what I can/can't get. Haven't tried the free On Demand stuff yet. Looking forward to watching the Super Bowl on it though. And while I doubt I'll spend much money on the pay-per-view movies or sports, I did notice something available called "Masturbating MILFs". I wonder who stars in that...?

7 comments:

Denny P 3 said...

That's cool. Nothing like a good TV and plenty to watch! I get addicted to watching sports all the time.

Stealth said...

I am not in it... lol... mostly. ;)

I am so sick of snow I could shit myself. Just sayin.

Midwestern City Boy said...

Target is much better at accepting returns than some other "big box" stores which will remain nameless. Many don't allow TV returns after 7-10 days which actually isn't good policy because then you have to exchange it rather than try to get it fixed.

Vixen said...

Target, hands down, has *THE. BEST* return policy
E-V-E-R....

I heart them.

Maggie said...

Target is awesome like that.

The only reason I would pay for cable is for the free On Demand. That stuff seriously rocks.

Moosekahl said...

Remember your really old TV that you gave to me when I had absolutely nothing to watch TV on. I haven't used it yet at the house in AK b/c I put it in the guest room. I moved it to the scrapbook room and I can't make it work. I can get one channel on antenna but I can't get it to recognize my Wii so that I can watch all my Netflix stuff on it. Any thoughts?

Summer said...

Every time I've ever returned something to Target, the csa's at the counter never open the box to see if the right item is in there. I returned a pair of shoes once that I purchased online and they didn't even look at them. I could have snuck an old dirty pair of sneakers in there for all they know. I do love shopping at Target though, and especially because of their return policy.

Cheaper than Black Friday? Well isn't that enough to piss you off for standing out in the cold and trying to buy it then?